Linux Small Business Server Backup

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a small machine running linux distro Zentyal. It's a simple PDC solution for a small business and I was able to quickly get a small domain group and fileshare going for the few people in my office.

I didn't like their master/slave domain controller how-to, I guess, in order to configure a BDC. I imagine more of running just a PDC and just fix it if it goes out which I have pretty much any replacement part I'd need handy instead of dedicate resources to running a BDC cause I've also tried to find some reading on promoting a BDC to PDC and it was unclear as well.

My problem is if I re-install the Linux PDC then I lose my SID and I'd have to re-connect all my clients to the new/same domain and I'd have to go through the whole profile transfer process.

Would imaging my Linux server be the best bet? If so, I've googled several and they all look very involved. Any suggestions on the best way to create a recovery and a good but simple linux imaging tool that someone would recommend.

However, if there's a way to just backup my users and password file, smb.conf file, and the file that sets the SID then that would suite my needs and I could just use my linux install disc to re-install the system and then just copy those files over.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://simplelinuxbkup.sourceforge.net/

I never used it but there is a basic backup program for Linux. There really is no PDC & BDC. That is an outdated MS concept.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using SAMBA and I guess at most it mimics the old MS concept, but it's still the backbone of MS's AD. My group split from the a company that was using AD and roaming profiles and I had people everyday complaining about the login times and losing work. I told them we wouldn't do that and because our group is small I was determined to find a Linux solution and SAMBA is working great mainly thanks to the ease of use of Zentyal (old ebox). They have a backup module that I've been running and I'm finding out now if I were to restore the system using the created backup would it restore all my settings. If not, then I'm going to look into your link which looks super easy to use. Thanks.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already have most of the files backed up. That's not what I'm really worried about. I can re-install the system if something happens and then copy my files back to it. My concern is systems configurations. Is there a file that configures the SID for SAMBA that I could just back up? If there's only a handful of files like pwd, smb.conf, etc then I can just seek those out. Of course, if there's a ton of config files for user accounts and SAMBA then I'm SOL and I'll just have to hope when I restore the backup all the settings get restored.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

A quick search in Google seems to confirm that the smb.conf is probably all you need but there is one more thing that concerns me & that's your hardware. You said old ebox. If you mean an old emachine, I certainly wouldn't depend on that. One time I bought a brand new IBM Thinkpad. The next day I wiped Vista & installed FreeBSD. It was the first time that I ran Unix on new hardware. What a difference!! It was & still is so much better than using some old box. When you first dive into the Unix world, those old boxes are fine but now you put it into production. I would upgrade.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Don2007. The hardware is brand new and I'm hoping to have the same performance I had on the machine that I first installed linux on which is still running. Not sure if linux/unix structure is just better for harddrives or what.

Yes, the smb.conf file from what I can tell has everything I need and that just seems too easy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts