Linux XP

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello guys
Can any of you guys tell me your opinion about Linux XP OS?

thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've never heard of it but i read that its based on fedora and thats my distro of choice. so it sounds like is got the face of XP with fedora running under the hood. possibly similar to how OS X works with unix under the hood and apples face.
i'm downloading it now so that i can test it out and have a better opinion. i suggest you do the same :]
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks Anarchy
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

'ts no prob man. i like finding out about distro's i was unaware of so i can give them a spin.
this ones a little different because theres a lack of premade software for it, and it keeps wanting you to activate it which i think is dumb. :shrug: overall id say its not a bad little distro tho..
although it only had firefox 1.0.8 so i downloaded FF2 and installed it from the tar.gz, which other packages that need compilation such as gaim or xmms have proven to be more difficult to do. we'll see tho..

so i've used it for a while now and am annoyed.
it plays dvds no prob, i didn't have to install anything, it just did it. it also detects/mounts/reads my fat32 & ntfs partitions without any configuration. however, every time i try to import my music into rhythmbox it crashes so i go nuts because i need music. the software provided with it and available for update is old and out of date, and when i tried compiling xmms and gaim from source, i get an error that i need the glib devel headers, however i cannot seem to locate them for the life of me. also, i remembered with FC3 you had to go into alsamixer and turn up your volume levels and i wasn't getting any sound, so i checked and it was the same thing. it also didn't detect my monitor which is weird because FC3 did back in the day and thats the base distro for LXPD so i dont get that. so the resolution it gave me was 640x480 (yuck!).
Other problems..Security: horrible. during the install process it never allows you to create a regular user, you simply give it a root password and after installation, it auto logs you in as root. thats not good. so i manually created a user and had to unlock something with the password so that i could set the password. after rebooting (because i updated the system and it needed to), it re-logged me in as root. thats irritating. it also keeps bugging me that its not activated, and to activate you need to spend $20 on a license. for a distro thats so incomplete/lacking, they should definitely not be charging people this early in the game.
so if i were to suggest a distro to someone new to linux, i would definitely not mention linux xp. i wouldn't even make them aware that it exists :]
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank You Anarchy for your Review, Im not going to even lose my time in downloading it
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

no prob.

that's a good choice..at least not until they release the 2007 version.
once they do i'll download / check that one out and post back here as to what i find :]
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

the fact that they are charging at all is absurd with so many superior distros out there for free. isnt that part of what linux is about?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats what i thought.
i mean, they have a good idea..they just need to fix certain things that linux users expect in order for those of us who already use linux to want to use it or suggest it IMHO.
but yea...i'd never pay for a license for linux. lol i dont pay for winblows so why would i pay for something thats open source..?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha so true. its best for a first time linux user to choose a well established distro with a well established community for support. then from there see if you want to branch off to other distro spin offs. they released a new sabayon by the way. gonna try to check it out when i have time. did you ever try it anarchy?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

as long as the version you're talking about is 3.2, i have both the 64 and 32 bit versions :] i got the mini me of the 64 bit b/c A) i dont have that many dvd's and B) its faster to download the cd and C) it'll fit on my flash drive ^_^ but i wanna try out puppy linux real quick before i stick sabayon on my flash drive....i wonder if i could have a dual boot flash drive? there's 2GB free and puppy is all of like 84 so..hahah, that'd pretty much be the *plum*
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

puppy. never heard of it. might check it out. also i wanted to mention it seems developers of beryl want to stick to sabayon as the main distributer of beryl so it seems they will be working close together. wonder what may come of this.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i noticed that it came installed with the distro. i downloaded and installed the 64 bit cd and its pretty lacking. lol and then when i try to install things, i get errors and have problems (i'm thinking bc i changed my arch flag and havent recompiled world yet)... but like, when i try to start gaim...it just sits there and does nothing. it doesn't start, it doesn't stop, it just sits...and then when i hit ctrl+c it gives me a stack trace. =\ and then kuroo and amarok when i try to run both of them say something like floating point error or invalid floating point..something to that effect. i know it said floating point and it was only 3 words :] so im really tempted to give up on gentoo.
and its funny, because it takes it 56 seconds to prepare to boot..and then 15-20 seconds to boot. i dont get it.. :shrug:

but yea, puppy is pretty much DSL's competition. and i wasn't too fond of DSL but i'm kinda pissed.. for some reason my 2GB PNY flash drive doesn't show up in any way for me to boot. so i do have to burn things to boot them :(
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I run puppy on all my old p2 series machines. Apart from the odd strange little thing with much older hardware occasionally the 2.12 release is one of the best small distros out there. Everything works first time, and adding weird things seems easy. I found it easier to build from source than to look for the pup packages, with a few broken links to contend with, and some out of date dependencies. But we should all be used to that by now so nothing new or surprising there.

Sorry, no idea what is up with your flash drive. My el-cheapo 512 detects great on all the modern machines I see. My bios is too old at home to boot from usb..LMAO!
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is up with you having terrible problems with gentoo. i havent encountered any of those problems. have you tried the 32bit version. might be something specific to the 64 bit version.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i haven't tried the 32 bit version with the purpose of using the 32 bit version. i love the idea that i could actually gain from the extra 32bits that my process has the ability to handle and it's right, with sabayon...it takes 56 seconds to "prepare to boot" and then about 15 seconds to actually boot the OS. idky it takes so long preparing, but the actual booting is great. it just hates me changing things..like the arch from a general 64 bit to athlon64. sigh..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

was just a suggestion cause i remember i tried the 64 bit version for ubuntu once and i couldnt get it to work (yes i had a 64 bit processor). gave me some weird error i never seen before. i wish i remember what it was. but when i tried the 32 bit version it worked just fine.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea...sounds about right for ubuntu :-P lol
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

so yeah perhaps its just a 64 bit specific issue.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts