Linux trial ?

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys a while ago i heard about a possible trial of linux before u buy it cuz rite now i got windows xp and i wanted to see the good and bad stuff about and not have to download it or buy it and then not like it
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

linux is free, excluding a few distro's like redhat and suse, if you want to just try linux out, you should download knoppix, or some other live distro, it's a bootable cdrom with an entire operating system on it, no need to partition/install etc.
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

as aeon said, give Linux a test run with Knoppix (this runs entirely off a CD)

heres the link:

http://www.LinuxISO.org.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i like it witch one would i download ??? to get like a full version?
also i read that it takes up a bit of space on my hard drive am i able to remove that space and how would i do it ???
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora are some of the more popular distributions. But really the best distribution is whichever one that You think is best, so i recommend trying a few of them.

Quote:
Can I Keep My Current OS?

Most users new to Linux are running Windows. No surprise there, it's the ubiquitous desktop computer operating system. Linux can 'play nice' with Windows, meaning you don't have to erase your current version of Windows to use Linux. There must be some unused/free space on your hard drive to install Linux, just how much or how little depends on the particular distribution. At least 1 gigabyte should be enough for most, more will be better. Installation methods are as different as the distributions themselves. Fortunately, you will find documentation on the cd itself; reading it before you do an install is recommended. Some Linux distributions will install on unused disk space within your current Windows system, using as little as 300 megabytes of your drive. A couple of distributions have the ability to run from the cd itself, creating only temporary files on your hard drive that are erased when you shut down your system, without making permanent changes to your hard drive. If you decide to do an on-the-drive installation, you can still keep your current OS. Linux can set up a dual-boot system using a Boot Loader program, such as LILO, which allows you to select which installed operating system to run shortly after your computer boots up.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
if i like it witch one would i download ??? to get like a full version?
also i read that it takes up a bit of space on my hard drive am i able to remove that space and how would i do it ???

They are all "full versions"; they are 'open source', which means no matter what you use it for... it's free.
[Licensing rules apply]
Decide what it is you want to do with it, then perhaps do a little research on which one might best suit your requirements.

Cheers.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

well can someone describe each one and ill pick the one i like because i love gaming and i stilll need to use the internet and some programs for school work
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright i just finished downloading it and its .iso on my desktop now what do i do what program do i open it with ???? or where do i put it ???
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
well can someone describe each one and ill pick the one i like because i love gaming and i stilll need to use the internet and some programs for school work

Daemonguy wrote:
do a little research on which one might best suit your requirements.

And regarding your other question try here:

http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/burning-iso-images-t34883.html

8 posts or so down….
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it possible to do this without burning it to a cd cuz my cdrw drive is on the fritz ( not working ) and i cant do anything about it
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
is it possible to do this without burning it to a cd cuz my cdrw drive is on the fritz ( not working ) and i cant do anything about it

lol, still havnt done it... http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/new-dvd-drive-installed-t34310.html

Back to your question, which one have you downloaded?
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the hard drive doesent have a jumper and i got the knoppix
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

For LiveCD's and for most distributions you need to burn a CD for it to run.

You can get a distribution that installs over the internet and that might only take a few disks but they write to your harddrive.

If you want to try out linux before installing it either get a friend t download the iso and get him to burn it, or if you want you could donate a few dollars and buy a distribution.

This comes with the added benifit that you get documentation and support (usually).

If your new to linux I recommend Suse, Xandros or Linspire (the last two I think you have to buy, but there is a free version of Xandros). Suse there is personal version of it and I'm personally using it, and I found the install quite easy.

Xandros and Linspire have installations that are so easy it's scary. Both are very user friendly.

Linux currently has very few commercial games ported to it (as in you can play them) there are some games, and more are coming but in my opinion if you want to play games. Keep a version of Windows just for gaming, it's easier than tweaking Linux to run them.

There are also a few other distributions you should look at:

Mepis - is another version of Knoppix, I havn't used it myself but it's supposed to be quite good as a LiveCD

Gentoo - harder to install (much harder) but it's optimized for your system and if you know about your computer this might be for you

Fedora Core - I havn't used it myself yet but it's based off of Red Hat and is probably quite good, heard some good reviews of it.

Debian - Probably not for you, it's quite hard to install, but it's good distribution never the less and you should look into it.

Finally, if you've got the time you can always look up a Linux User Group in your area and go to one of their meetings, you'll meet some people that will probably help you get into the marvelous world of Linux.

You might also want to look into a version of BSD, but I've never used it myself.

Hope this helps.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

can someone tell me the ups and downs of linux ?? compared to windows xp
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's secure, it's stable, it doesn't burn resources like xp does, it multi-tasks properly, it uses memory properly (it actually remembers things)... other than that, it's free, open-source etc, the linux community is huge, and many linux users are also hobbyist programmers, so there is a lot of open-source software available.. it also has the advantage of not looking like it was made by fisher price like xp does.

I guess one disadvantage of linux is that it has a much steeper learning curve than windows
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

aeon wrote:
it also has the advantage of not looking like it was made by fisher price like xp does.

I KNEW I saw XP's default theme somewhere before!
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts