Locating installed packages?

• Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently I installed GD on a freebsd box from source.

I'm now compiling php, And the path I specified for GD is apparently not correct.

I can't figure out where it is thoug!?!

What is the best wya to figure out hwere packages install? gd isn't really a string i can just locate

Is there some kind of file that is left in the source directory that may let me know!?

Thanks

~~Willy
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

try:

Code: [ Select ]
rpm -gl gd
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I rather doubt that rpm -qa is going to help much since the system is freebsd and the owner probably installed via the port.

Normally, the default it /usr/local/lib though you could have installed it anywhere.

Obviously you're searching for libgd.so.* , so running a find could help as well.

Cheers.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could also try
Code: [ Select ]
whereis gd
OR
whereis libgd
  1. whereis gd
  2. OR
  3. whereis libgd

i believe. *shrug* best way to find out is to try :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt that 'whereis' will help much, since that command searches for binaries and source (along with man pages for said binary), not libraries.

Better off with find.
  • xtc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • xtc
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should install it from source using the ports collection. That will give you the ability to track what you have installed using the pkgtools. For example.

/usr/ports/all/gd

make install clean

then

pkg_info

that will list the packages. the benefit of ports is that you can keep it updated very easily. Managed and you can track what you have.

There is a sysutil caled portupgrade that you can use very easily to keep it updated and all the other packages for that.

Thanks

X

http://forum.lucidnow.com/
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

xtc wrote:
You should install it from source using the ports collection. That will give you the ability to track what you have installed using the pkgtools. For example.

/usr/ports/all/gd

make install clean

then

pkg_info

that will list the packages. the benefit of ports is that you can keep it updated very easily. Managed and you can track what you have.

There is a sysutil caled portupgrade that you can use very easily to keep it updated and all the other packages for that.

Thanks

X

http://forum.lucidnow.com/

I concur that installing from the ports tree makes it much easier to manage source installations, however this user already installed via a source tarball, which means installing from the standard package, sans FBSD makefile, may cause severe conflicts if the previous source install is not sufficiently removed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts