Long term SSH connections

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any harm in having an SSH connection remain established for several hours at a time ?
What about for 2-3 days at a time ?

The computer the connection is established from is behind a router.
There are no concerns of anyone ever coming into the room and getting on the computer if I get up to get lunch or use the restroom.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do it all the time. Don't forget that you can always lock the PC with ctrl alt delete & login again after lunch. That's as long as you don't use the welcome screen, which is for lazy people. Make sure that remote desktop isn't enabled.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not so much worried about the system I'm making connections from, as I am the system I'm making connections to. :)

// Edit -- I should probably clarify that it's not so much the "security" of the remote system I'm concerned with, if anything, it's probably more secure than mine are.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That security of the remote system is not under your control. However, one mistake that people make is, they leave the permissions of their home directory at 755 when they should change it to 700.

The first thing I do if someone gives me a shell account is go through everyone's home directory. Sometimes there are files with passwords there.

If your home directory is /home/joebert, ssh to the server, cd ..
chmod 700 joebert. At least your directory won't be readable by others.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the server incur any sort of hit from me having the connection established for long periods of time ?

Are there any known memory leak issues with any SSH servers that would eventually have a server administrator looking to see what's hogging all the memory and scolding me for keeping the connection established for so long ?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not at all. Idle connections are common. Run the who command & you'll see all of them.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about sftp ?

Ubuntu uses Gnome which uses Nautilus which has a feature where I can setup public/private keys for SSH and then I can connect to a remote system and browse with Nautilus just like it was on the same system I'm browsing from.

I've noticed, at least on my Ubuntu servers, that when I connect like this top will show both an sshd process as well as an sftp-server process.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

sftpd or ftpd may have a timeout that will disconnect the user. That will change which each admin & each OS. I'm not familiar with Nautilus. I do everything by command line, ssh, ftp, sftp & scp.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts