I'm looking for an experienced Ubuntu/Debian packager

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got this opensource project hosted at Google Code called Picksel. It's basicly a color picker. It's a simple little project and for the most part it will stay small and simple.

Right now it's just C source code using Glade UI files with a jerry-rigged Makefile. I'd like to produce a *.deb package in multiple languages eventually, but I'm a little overwhelmed with packaging and how it works. In all honesty I'm still learning how to program with C.

Now, apparently I've caught a few peoples' attention with the project. To my surprize it's been getting a few visits comming from TechCrunch, delicious, various blogs, and recently Wikipedia. I can't seem to find the pages with links on some of these sites & Google Analytics referer data is all I have to go on, so I'm assuming it's being passed around in the back offices between employees.

Anyway, I'd like to find someone experienced with packaging for Ubuntu, maybe even Debian, to join the project as the designated package manager.
The first thing that would need to be done is pointing me in the right direction for getting the project ready to be packaged. After that it would boil down to creating *.deb packages to add to the Download tab of the project page, and possibly getting something going in the Ubuntu repository. That stuff is all new to me though.

It's hosted at Google Code, and projects there use Subversion. I plan on keeping it that way, so you'll need experience with SVN.
You will also need a Gmail account to join the project I believe, I'm not sure about that though. If you want access to the Analytics data you will need a Gmail account for me to add to the site profile, that much I do know.
If you've got a blog, we can go ahead and add that to the project pages blogs section if you'ld like too.

For the most part I get demotivated when I start getting into packaging, I just don't want to do it. I would rather be working on UI and application functionality stuff. I imagine (hope rather) there's someone out there who feels the same way, but about packaging instead of UI and functionality.

I don't care if you're 16 or 61, my main concerns are
1) I don't have to worry about malicious pieces of code slipping into packages
2) If you screw up, you're capable of fixing it fast
3) You're laid back, relaxed

If you're interested, you can send me a PM here, reply to this thread, leave a comment on my blog post for the project (note you can safely leave an email address in the comment and ask me not to publish it, comments are moderated there).
Or, you can email me ([mr.joebert] (at) [gmail] (dot) [com])

I'd love it if someone here with a post history long enough for me to search through and get an idea of who I'm dealing with were interested. :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have zero experience with packaging, but this might motivate me to finally learn it. Just make sure you don't exclude us Fedora folks!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have no package creation exp w/debs, although i have made and distributed rpms before. im also quite familiar w/ubuntu and experienced w/c programming so i could help out as well
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't mean to cut Fedora folks out, I just know less about that than I do Ubuntu. If it's possible to package it for other distributions, that would be great too.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

we have the source and people with the distro's, tmk thats all we need ^_^
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, this packaging stuff seems like it's a lot harder than it ought to be.

You'ld think that after more than a week of trying I'd at least have an installable package, even if the application itself can't load its' UI XML files yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts