Loving Mandrake Linux

• daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got Mandrake Linux 10.1 from linuxworld.com last week, and I'm loving every minute of it. Almost completely switched over from windows, and I'm considering taking windows off some of my PC's completely. Linux is just soo much better!

Anything anyone recommends for linux? little tips or tricks?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i was you i would go with Mandrake 10 and not 10.1 because i has a lot of bugs in it. Well i think i does anyways i was useing it when it first came out and i had such a problem with it.

It would crash all the time... well maybe thay fix it a little but i moved to
Fedora Core 3.
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

daniel.g.wood wrote:
...Almost completely switched over from windows, and I'm considering taking windows off some of my PC's completely. Linux is just soo much better!

What is better? I've just completed my second (ever) Linux desktop installation (Fedora Core 3), and I can't really see anything about Linux that I like better than Windows... seriously.

I'd love to hear what it is that you, or anyone, loves about Linux that makes it better than Windows. I'm a long-time (Apple turned) Microsoft user (and Linux too, but just on machines run by others... mail/web servers mostly) and I am struggling with the decision whether or not to install a few more Linux desktops (to see how they play with one another) or removing Linux from my home again... for the second time. :)
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do anything you want to linux its a ll open source. And their is a lot of free applicaions that you can download and edit your self. You can edit the Kernel any way you want. You just have a lot more freedom with it.

And if you know how to program you can use bach files to do what ever you wish. From Cron Jobs to just about anything you have a lot of power.

Good Luck :)
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running Fedora 3 and I find it far better than Windows, it never crashes, I doesn't seem to be quirky like Windows can be and it's free. I must admit though, I do miss some of my Windows games :cry:
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guys,
I don't think it's anyone's job to try and convince someone to run a particular OS or not.

Frankly, these questions are always rhetorical, in that the individual has already made up his or her mind, which in-turn makes any answer feckless.

Sheepdip, if Windows provides you with all that you require, I am elated that you found an OS that suits your needs. Good luck, god speed.
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

theak: look into cedega
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Guys,
I don't think it's anyone's job to try and convince someone to run a particular OS or not.

Frankly, these questions are always rhetorical, in that the individual has already made up his or her mind, which in-turn makes any answer feckless.

Sheepdip, if Windows provides you with all that you require, I am elated that you found an OS that suits your needs. Good luck, god speed.

I wasn't trying to stir up a debate, all I was wanting to know is why they thought that Linux was better than Windows. In my life I find that there is great in sharing your experience(s) with others. Especially when it may help someone avoid mistakes. When someone makes a statement like, "Linux is just soo much better!" that tells me that they must have some experience with Linux and its benefits (to them) over Windows.

Since I am installing Linux, I would like to know what they have found to be better so that I can decide whether or not to continue down this road. Again, this is not a debate, rather an opportunity to learn and grow.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sheepdip wrote:

I wasn't trying to stir up a debate, all I was wanting to know is why they thought that Linux was better than Windows. In my life I find that there is great in sharing your experience(s) with others. Especially when it may help someone avoid mistakes. When someone makes a statement like, "Linux is just soo much better!" that tells me that they must have some experience with Linux and its benefits (to them) over Windows.

Since I am installing Linux, I would like to know what they have found to be better so that I can decide whether or not to continue down this road. Again, this is not a debate, rather an opportunity to learn and grow.

I suppose it's usually, and perceived in this case, how the question is asked.

Quote:
What is better? I've just completed my second (ever) Linux desktop installation (Fedora Core 3), and I can't really see anything about Linux that I like better than Windows... seriously.

I consider questions worded as such to be 'leading'.

I was trying to stem the defensive remarks I thought might be forthcoming. The plain truth is, whatever works best for you, is exactly what you should use. If you feel more comfortable using Joe's Operating System or see no benefit in using an alternate, there's no point in attempting to convince anyone to the contrary.

Now if your question is, "what aspects of your operating system do you find superior enough (in your opinion) to warrant it's use for your application(s)? "; I find that valid.

A great deal of preference depends upon application. For most folks, I would suggest Windows as a desktop solution. The vast majority are not willing to put forth the effort to make *nix a worthwhile desktop environment. It takes a modicum of work; some more than others.

Server architecture is a different story, but of course your question dealt with desktop use.

Cheers.
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Going back to the first post.

Quote:
Anything anyone recommends for linux? little tips or tricks?

One superb feature I found in Fedora core 3.... Open the Konqueror browser with a an audio CD in the CD drive.

It will open up with a folder for each codec you have installed e.g. .mp3 .ogg .cda etc etc...

Click into the folder and simply drag and drop the tracks you want, in the format you want, into the folder you want.

I keep buying far to many CD's at the moment as there's so much good music coming out, and this beats everything else for keeping my Linux juke box up to date.

(N.B. I think this is part of the Konqueror browser and so is not distro specific as such but I'm not 100% sure on this so correct me if I'm wrong ) .
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Konqueror is part of the KDE installation.

I would imagine it's part of the audiocd subsystem within KDE.
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I'm running KDE and I had'nt realised that Konqueror was part of KDE.

Allthough the K in front of Konqueror is a dead give away !!!

Thanks

Chris
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was going to install mandrake tomorrow (download the ISOs while I sleep tonight) because nothing I can do will get my sound to work on slackware, and I just want to try somehting new anyways.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts