Methods of Backup

• vish64
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vish64
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

We do backups using a Exabyte 8mm 7/14GB SCSI external tape drive. Recently it broke down so we are planning to upgrade to another method of carrying out the backups on a regular basis.

Can I have some sugestions on how most ppl do bkups ? & what might be the best way to go ?

We have 3 drives of 36G, 70G & 70G that are backedup on a regular basis.

Thanks.....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Burn a compressed copy of all my work onto CD once a week, it's the best method IMO

But I see you are dealing with far too much data to do that.

If I was dealing with that much data, I would either buy hard drives of identical sizes, or buy one big one, and copy drive images onto those. If you get one big one, use the "dd" command, but I can't remember the parameters you need.
  • TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes CD and hdd backup is good But Im assumeing u want a alternative cuz Hard drives can be pritty scetchy Ive gone threw a few my self...
Ide suggest 1 of 2 methods.. OR both!

1 Zip drive.. (There not to popular but they hole more media then cdr's and they are more stable + they will not miss data)
2. A Lot of servers now aday STILL use tape backup. Its hard to get a hold of a tape drive now aday but there still out there as the perferd method of back up for major webhosting companys.. I'd suggest checking Ebay, Manly online stors would carry them If u can find them.. Office depot or stapples would not.. HttP://www.pcclub.com or Http://www.newegg.com would probably carry them.
  • vish64
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vish64
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input ...
I got myself a tape drive from Exabyte itself .....VXA-1 tech

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts