micro$oft finally giving in!!!

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7257411.stm

Quote:
Microsoft has announced that it will open up the technology of some of its leading software to make it easier to operate with rivals' products.

I.E., linux, you name the distro but no matter what, it is still linux they are fearing and thats why they are doing it. Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_VFKqw1q2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYt7hobYZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rSLQAqV2Lw
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

They have made all these promises before. Again it's more a "wait and see" For one I don't believe they will be truly open, more likely we will only get some small information about peripheral softwares and not anything really gritty about the way (for instance) they implement the DRM in the core of the OS.. That's the kind of thing you really need to know if you want to write a media player or music editing application...

Vista must be taking a hammering because they last pulled this trick to con developers into making programs for their platform during the dark days of ME ;)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw another little headline this morning that said something about microsoft releasing a list of programs that just simply will not work with vista SP1. I just have a hard time understanding why the hell they would go and do things in such a way that it is a guessing game as to whether you have a functioning system or not. At least with linux and open source software, if something doesn't work with a particular distribution, it can be (fairly) easily modified so that it does work.

And I'll admit that I have media players of questionable legality on my linux machine, but it is just kind of messed up to have an audio format like mp3 that is suppose to be the "industry standard" but not freely available to the masses.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Microsoft chief executive officer Steve Ballmer said: "Our goal is to promote greater interoperability, opportunity and choice for customers and developers throughout the industry by making our products more open and by sharing even more information about our technologies."

What a lying *peach* *peach*. Can't believe he would even have the gall to say something like that.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats why I posted those redhat youtube videos, especially the one about the customer being in charge.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean this one?

PROGRAMS HIT BY SP1
BitDefender AV
Fujitsu Shock Sensor
Jiangmin KV Antivirus 10
Jiangmin KV Antivirus 2008
Trend Micro Internet Security
Zone Alarm Security Suite
Iron Speed Designer
Xheo Licensing
Free Allegiance
NYT Reader
Rising Personal Firewall
Novell ZCM Agent
Of the 12 programs mentioned, six block viruses or keep an eye on the places someone visits online.

Quote:
Microsoft warned that its list was not "comprehensive" and asked people to get in touch with the maker of any affected software to fix problems.

Although the update will become widely available in March, Microsoft is releasing it to business customers in February.

Microsoft has also been forced to withdraw an update to Vista that was required before Service Pack 1 could be applied.

Writing on the Windows Vista blog, Nick White, Microsoft product manager, said the company had withdrawn the preparatory update while it investigated.

Isolated reports suggest that some machines on which the preliminary update has been applied go into an update loop.

He wrote: "We are working to identify possible solutions and will make the update available again shortly after we address the issue."source BBC
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

totally <333 that first vid you posted :D

Janrocks wrote:
Zone Alarm Security Suite

thank god.. lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts