A mike on Ubuntu 10.10

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got skype isntalled my my ubuntu machine, but the mike doesn't want to work on it. I checked the plug-ins and im sure I have it plugged in the correct one, but it doesn't work. If tried all the plugs actually but none of them worked.

I know its not the headphones because I used another set that I know works on my Windows machine, and that didn't work as well. Im down to, it being either a software problem or hardware problem within the computer... what should I do next?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have an external hard drive, or another hard drive you could install Windows on it and see if the mic works with that hardware. If it does, then you know its a software/driver problem with Ubuntu. Not sure if that would be the best way to narrow it down, but I think narrowing it down is a good idea so you know where to focus all of your energy in figuring it out.
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is your brand of microphone? Sometimes some brands just have trouble working in some Linux distros.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

gametron plantronics ...

I don't have a way to isntall windows on another hard drive... otherwise that machine wouldn't be linux :lol:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, I realize that, I am just trying to help you determine if the problem is software or hardware related. You had stated you knew for sure it worked with your other computer with Windows, so if you used an external hard drive plugged in via USB or some sorts you could load up Windows and see if the microphone works. If it does then you know that its a driver/software problem with Linux. If it does not work with Windows on that machine then you know its a hardware issue.
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi-bin ... =973905272

Your brand doesn't seem to be officially supported in Linux.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... headphones

This is old information, but it might point you in the right direction. Try checking there too. They have great support.
Moderator Remark: Made links active

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts