mounted partition permission problem.

• Cii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cii
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guysPostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:09 pm Post subject: mounted partitionpermission problem.
i was trying to make a new folder in a mounted partition yesterday, but it started telling me it was read-only. here's the error.
Code: [ Select ]
cii@linux:~> cd /mnt/b
cii@linux:/mnt/b> mkdir a
mkdir: cannot create directory `a': Read-only file system
cii@linux:/mnt/b>
  1. cii@linux:~> cd /mnt/b
  2. cii@linux:/mnt/b> mkdir a
  3. mkdir: cannot create directory `a': Read-only file system
  4. cii@linux:/mnt/b>
i dont know why this error started because i was able to read and write before and i didnt change my fstab file.
here's the line from my fstab file anyway.
/dev/hda8      /mnt/b        vfat    users,owner,rw,umask=000 0

i was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out here. If you guys need some other output, i'd gladly provide them for ya.
thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mindcry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mindcry

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you tried to make that directory as root?
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try changing the line in your ftab where it says owner to user and it should work

the same goes for cdrom and floppy if you have problems mounting them as normal user aswell.

if that doesn't workg into your /mnt directory and type ls -l and post what you get here :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couple of questions;

I see this is vfat, which means you are trying to read Windows partitions. Would the one in question be NTFS? (VFAT will only set NTFS in read-only mode. )

Which version you running? (There's been some bugs with the sys_immutable mount, which is why I ask).

Also which kernel you running? As well as which Linux distro?

You may also wish to change your umask to something like 007.

Cheers for now.
  • Cii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cii

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindcry: the thing is, i need other programs to be able to create directories and files there. so that doesnt work.

jazzy: here's my output:
cii@linux:/mnt> ls -l
total 64
drwxrwxrwx 19 root root 32768 2004-10-26 13:47 b
drwxrwxrwx 45 root root 16384 1969-12-31 19:00 winapps
drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 16384 1969-12-31 19:00 work
  1. cii@linux:/mnt> ls -l
  2. total 64
  3. drwxrwxrwx 19 root root 32768 2004-10-26 13:47 b
  4. drwxrwxrwx 45 root root 16384 1969-12-31 19:00 winapps
  5. drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 16384 1969-12-31 19:00 work
and i did change what you asked in the fstab file.
Daemonguy: the partitions are actually fat32. i created them with the sole intent to move files between linux and windows.
as for version, i dont really know which one you mean unless you mean the version of mount, in that case it would be 2.12.
kernel = 2.6 with suse 9.1 personal.

the thing is, the problem, as i see it occurs randomly. for example, last night i wouldnt write a file there. but now, i can. so i'm not sure where exactly the problem is.

if this goes on for too long, i might as well figure out how boot the damned dvd and install 9.1pro. :(
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant which version of VFAT.

Cheers.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i supose it didn't help changing the the line in fstab... :p

well obviously the owner and the usergroup of that partition are root so you wont be able to do anything as normal users.

what you can do is:

-type chown cii.users -R /mnt (don't forget the dot between cii and users )

this will set recursively the owner to "cii" and usergroup "users". You should be able to use write on the partition.

hope it works :)
  • Cii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cii

Post 3+ Months Ago

chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audiobook - Lord Of The Rings 1 - The Fellowship Of The Ring - 16 Cds - Read By Inglis/The Fellowship of the Ring CD15/25 - Tolkien - Rob Inglis - Fellowship 15.25 - The Fellowship of the Ring CD15.mp3': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audio.Book.-.Stephen.Hawking.-.The.Universe.In.A.Nutshell.(2001).Audiobook.Sharereactor.rar': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audio Book - Isaac Asimov - 5 Audiobooks.rar': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/J.R.R. Tolkien - The Return Of The King - Audio Book - ReVamP.ShareReactor[www.warezfaw.com].zip': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audio Book - Isaac Asimov - Prequel 01 - Prelude To Foundation - Unabridged Sci-Fi {Whix}.rar': Operation not permitted...
  1. .
  2. .
  3. chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audiobook - Lord Of The Rings 1 - The Fellowship Of The Ring - 16 Cds - Read By Inglis/The Fellowship of the Ring CD15/25 - Tolkien - Rob Inglis - Fellowship 15.25 - The Fellowship of the Ring CD15.mp3': Operation not permitted
  4. chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audio.Book.-.Stephen.Hawking.-.The.Universe.In.A.Nutshell.(2001).Audiobook.Sharereactor.rar': Operation not permitted
  5. chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audio Book - Isaac Asimov - 5 Audiobooks.rar': Operation not permitted
  6. chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/J.R.R. Tolkien - The Return Of The King - Audio Book - ReVamP.ShareReactor[www.warezfaw.com].zip': Operation not permitted
  7. chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/b/emule/Audio Book - Isaac Asimov - Prequel 01 - Prelude To Foundation - Unabridged Sci-Fi {Whix}.rar': Operation not permitted...
that's what i got while running that command. I'm guessing that didnt go well. :(

Daemonguy: i tried to look for the version of vfat on my machine, but unfortunately i dont know how to do it. any pointers?

PS. thanks for the help fellas. i really appreciate thing.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you login as root before typing the command ?
  • Cii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cii

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'd be an idiot if i didnt. :( i thought i did. i'll check once i get home.
  • Cii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jazzy, i was logged in as root. i tried it again, still the same error

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts