Mounting drives.

• ajmatson
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all. I am a total newbie and it is taking me longer to figuire out this code stuff. I am running Red Hat 9 and I can get my usb flash drive to show on the desktop. It shows as /dev/sdb in the hardware search but I just cant figure it out. PLEASE HELP ! ! ! ! ! ! Thanks, Alan
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok... as you know, you must mount the drive before using it, well... to do so open the consol then since it is showing up as sdb I am assuming there is another usb periphral attached?.... well in order to mount it you must have a mount point.... something like this: /mnt/usbdrive so heres how to create that directory: mkdir /mnt/usbdrive. Now you must mount it, I uasually mount it with msdos support (very handy) heres how to do it: mount -t msdos /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbdrive

Now you can access you USB drive though mnt/usbdrive, when you done using the drive you must unmount it, you can do this by using the following: umount /mnt/usbdrive hope it helps :wink:
  • ajmatson
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Freakyp that worked and it helped so much. You rock you made a newbies day. I must say I am proficient with windows but linix so far seems to be alot more interesting and fun. Thanks again.
  • ajmatson
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

One last question is there a simpler way to mount and unmount it from the gnome desktop or do I have to manually do it in the command screen each time?

Thanks again
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure about gnome, but in KDE you can right click on the desktop and use make > new > device > harddisk and just set it to /dev/sdb1

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts