Multiboot with added security

• 8XiossoiX8
  • 8XiossoiX8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone, new to ozzu. ive been reading through alot of threads and found this forum to be an eye opener.

got a question for y'all.

A few years ago I used GRUB to multiboot Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu. After a while i didnt require Ubuntu anymore so i stuck with XP.

Now its time for me to need to multi boot again with WinXP, Win7, BackTrack4, and FreeBSD.
However because of the Multipul purposes of the machine (PenTesting, Graphics, and Network Resources) Im needing to password protect the OS's at the GRUB level

for example:
Windows XP - No password (Default if no OS is selected within set number of seconds)
Windows 7 - Passworded
Backtrack4 - Passworded (differant password from win7 if possible)
FreeBSD - No Password.

First time i set GRUB up was from a step by step guide on the internet which is no longer online.

I have looked at Terabyte BootIt Next Generation, OSL2000 and EasyBCD. Great bootloaders but dont really offer me the security im looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

There's ^^ a Grub tutorial. However, I can't see 4 OSes on one machine. Backtrack can be put on a USB drive with persistent changes. I have FreeBSD & Win7 on separate laptops.
  • 8XiossoiX8
  • 8XiossoiX8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the link, ive book marked it so i can start working on it in a few days.

If i have any trouble ill reply on here. fingers crossed i wont need to :-D

I want to install backtrack on the hard drive because everytime i load from a disc it doesnt save my settings. can make things easier saving it to the hard drive.

:-D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason backtrack doesn't save your settings is, part of it requires a VFAT partition & the other a Linux partition. Search Google for backtrack persistent changes.

Don't forget, even if you don't have persistent changes on the Backtrack USB, it will still see the Windows partitions & you can write files to them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts