Multiple beginner questions...

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all

Any chance I could chuck a few generic Linux beginner questions your way please? I'm using Suse 9.0 with KDE I think. These are all just minor tweak questions:

1. How can I get the web browser (Konqueror) to actually start at the home page? I have to click the home button to go there.

2. Is there a show desktop button? Or should I try and get used the virtual desktop buttons?

3. How can I change the boot order? I.E. If its duel boot how to I set the default OS? I followed some instructions to modify my boot loader (GRUB) but it says to look for a file called /boot/grub/grub.conf. I have the /boot/grub/ directories, but the grub.conf file is missing. Any ideas?

4. I'm used to double clicking the top of Windows to max them. Can you get KDE to do this?

Thanks!

S
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

now I'm using suse 9.1 so there may be a few differences but lets get these questions answered for the most part.
1. I couldn't quickly find a place to set it to do what you wanted, but I would suggest installing mozilla or mozilla firefox. It is the best the open source community has to offer in tems of web browsers.

2. heh, yea i'd try to get used to the virtual desktops. I have six of them, and I use them all. Its a great advantage to windows.

3. You can do this by using suse's tool YAST. click on yast then system then boot loader configuration. Where it says default section, you double click on that, and there you can set the default boot order. But why would you want to set it to anything other than linux? heh.. j/k

4. Uh.. double clicking on the top of my mozilla window will expand it. Don't know much about Konqueror but it seems to have the same effect as well.
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi DuckIT........
for your 1,2 and 4th question i have to say the same what Rico16135 said. for ur 3rd one regarding boot loadder... grub.conf may b a hidden file
go to the directoey and type ls -a. it will show hidden file. for configuring that u should have root privilage.
or you can do it in gui. from the start menu click control center and search for boot option. there you can configure. this one will be good coz its in gui and self explanatory
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think tho that editing a config file in suse may also require you to run suseconfig. I think, I'm not sure tho. Yast also gives you the ease of editing config files by having an option to do it, then running all other required actions after an edit.
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rico16135, u dont have to edit suseconf file for editing grub. you u to do is just edit grubconf
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Settings - > Configure Konqueror -> Set Home URL

2. I think what you are asking is how do you get back to the blank desktop, like in windows from MS -- the answer is nearly in the same spot. On the task bar is an icon for 'Show Desktop'. [ I am assuming here that since you asked about Konqueror you are running KDE. ]

3. As previously mentioned, grub.conf is in the /boot/grub dir. However, it's not a hidden file, "dot" files are hidden from standard 'ls' calls. (Dot files are those with periods preceding them, such as .ssh and .bash)
Grub itself may not be installed, in favor of lilo. You can do an rpm -qa | grep grub
to see if it's installed. If not, you certainly can install it. If it is installed, you may have to formulate the config yourself -- plenty of resources on the net for that.

4. Right click on the shade of a window, choose "Configure Window Behavior" , click "actions" then choose in the drop down menu how you would prefer a double click to perform.

Of course, a lot of assumptions here; not withstanding the version of KDE you are even running. ;)
Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts