mysql trouble with fc3!!!

• juma
  • juma
  • Loc: Chennai, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!!

I just installed mysql 4.1 on my fc3 machine. Because it gave some vague errors with the standard available release, i decided to install from the source tarball. So, I managed to install it, along with php and also apache ( all compiled from source). Now, the reason i did all this was to get the midgard cms running http://www.midgardproject.org Now, when i tried to install the rpm for this it gives the following error

Code: [ Select ]

[root@Moonglade rpmsfc3]# rpm -ivh midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386.rpm
warning: midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID ccd7a5cd
error: Failed dependencies:
    libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386
    mysql-server >= 3.23.58 is needed by midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386
  1. [root@Moonglade rpmsfc3]# rpm -ivh midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386.rpm
  2. warning: midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID ccd7a5cd
  3. error: Failed dependencies:
  4.     libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386
  5.     mysql-server >= 3.23.58 is needed by midgard-core-1.6.3-1.1.i386

I do not understand as to why this is happening. Now, i also checked and found out that the mysql daemon was up and running. But somehow, midgard is simply not recognizing it. Somebody help me please.

Thanks in advance.

Juma

ps: Please do not suggest another cms system, because this thing i am trying to build is part of another site, which is on midgard and so i must use midgard.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

More than likely, the library that the RPM for midgard needs is NOT installed; instead you have a newer library installed.

Because you took the time to install source -- a good idea -- you jumped an entire rev for mysql. The RPM is looking for 3.x or "greater", and you installed 4.x. I would imagine you have in your lib dir libmysqlclient.so.14 or something. (Run a find command as root, look for the library without the number -- bet it's higher).

Do they offer midgard as source? Try it as such, if applicable.

If not, you may need to either back rev to the mysql rpm the midgard package is expecting OR do some heavy lifting and manipulate either what the rpm is looking for, or what it's looking at. :)
  • juma
  • juma
  • Loc: Chennai, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, thanks a ton for your help. You were right, infact it was libmysqlclient14 only. Now, I have a fresh problem, but pretty much of the same kind. I tried installing midgard from source. This midgard also needs glib> 2.4. I have a default rpm which comes fc3, which is 1.2 . I tried getting an rpm for it, so the configure script of midgard detects this later version but i cant seem to find it anywhere. So, i tried installing glib from source but midgard does not detect this version of glib at all. When I ran configure with help this is what i get

Code: [ Select ]
Midgard configuration:

--with-glib-config   The full path to your glib-config script
 --with-iconv      Location of iconv headers and libraries.
 --with-filetemplates  Enable FileTemplates (default is 'no').
 --with-pagelinks    Enable PageLinks (default is 'no').
 --with-mysql=DIR    The MySQL installation prefix.
             You should have the MySQL header files and
             client libraries in DIR/include and DIR/lib
             or in DIR/include/mysql and DIR/lib/mysql.
 --with-multilang    Enable multilanguage features (default is 'yes').
 --with-vc        Enable version control (default is 'yes').
 --with-repligard-enhance Enable repligard enhancements (default is 'yes').
 --with-quota        Enable quota (default is 'yes').
 --with-expat=DIR    The expat installation prefix.
             You should have the expat header files and
             client libraries in DIR/include and DIR/lib
             or in DIR/include/expat and DIR/lib/expat.
 --with-repligard-owner Set owner of Repligard binary (mysql by default).
  1. Midgard configuration:
  2.  --with-glib-config   The full path to your glib-config script
  3.  --with-iconv      Location of iconv headers and libraries.
  4.  --with-filetemplates  Enable FileTemplates (default is 'no').
  5.  --with-pagelinks    Enable PageLinks (default is 'no').
  6.  --with-mysql=DIR    The MySQL installation prefix.
  7.              You should have the MySQL header files and
  8.              client libraries in DIR/include and DIR/lib
  9.              or in DIR/include/mysql and DIR/lib/mysql.
  10.  --with-multilang    Enable multilanguage features (default is 'yes').
  11.  --with-vc        Enable version control (default is 'yes').
  12.  --with-repligard-enhance Enable repligard enhancements (default is 'yes').
  13.  --with-quota        Enable quota (default is 'yes').
  14.  --with-expat=DIR    The expat installation prefix.
  15.              You should have the expat header files and
  16.              client libraries in DIR/include and DIR/lib
  17.              or in DIR/include/expat and DIR/lib/expat.
  18.  --with-repligard-owner Set owner of Repligard binary (mysql by default).

So, i tried finding this configuration script of glib but could not find it anywhere. I could find only a file taglib-config, which i am not sure is even related to glib.
So, anychance u know where the glib config script is? i tried reading the glib docs but could not find it. Or how do i tell this midgard configuration script to look for glib /glib ??
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

You would have gotten the same thing if you had managed to update from the RPM.

You need the mysqlclient10-3.23 RPM. It was built just because of this issue.

it provides the following (in your /usr/lib[64]/mysql/ directory):
libmysqlclient_r.so.10
libmysqlclient_r.so.10.0.0
libmysqlclient.so.10
libmysqlclient.so.10.0.0

EDIT: sorry, the above was for your mysql issue.

On an RPM based system, you should really not install from source unless you have no other option, btw.

As a side note, why not just upgrade to FC4?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I completely disagree; I always prefer to build from source if the unit is to be a server platform.
There's almost always those pesky circular dependency issues with RPM's and the 'missing' libraries. This is because an RPM is a generic binary distribution, and as such is forced to make certain assumptions.
In the business world, assumptions can be devastating. The only time I advocate their use is when the rpm itself is crafted in-house and contains only that which we deem required. This is of course, after it's built from source.
There's far too much fragmentation in the RPM build process to cover every situation -- we end up with binary patchware, a la Microsoft. Yay.
Then we could talk about the whole stability jihad. Or we could just state, that anything built natively has a much better chance of being stable -- simple programming, 101.

Regardless, there ends up being less headaches building with source than someone else's generic RPM package. That having been said, once you start down that slope, it's difficult to make your way back. It's enticing, and simple. Until you actually smack your head into a brick wall, it's even enjoyable.
At times you may not even have any choice in the matter.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main reason I advocate using RPM's on an RPM based system deals with management of the system. The whole dependency issue is pretty much a thing of the past with utilities like up2date and yum. The usage of these utilities also removes some of the factor of human error when installing or updating packages installed to the system.

With regard to stability, if you're intelligent enough to do more than just
./configure
make && make install
which, if you're actually wanting to install from source on an RPM based system, I would assume you would be, then you're probably smart enough to download the source rpm as well and generate your own, system specific rpm for that system - which would give you the flexibility of installing from source while still having the option of updating that package (or removing it) with a utility such as one of the ones above.

Just my 2ยข - we both know there's heated debate all over the internet on this subject.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts