Nameservers

• KCamel
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Kuwait

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I'm not professional linux administrator but I can do few things and lately I been stuck with Nameserver issue I can't get what is it for? I mean when i setup my apache server with all the perfrences i need I can do nameservers from CPanel / WHM. But i want to understand what is it for? and why shall i do Nameserver setup? And how come some people uses other machine nameservers?

If there's any good tutorials manuals or some one can tell it to me i'll really appreciate it.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

KCamel wrote:
Hello,

I'm not professional linux administrator but I can do few things and lately I been stuck with Nameserver issue I can't get what is it for? I mean when i setup my apache server with all the perfrences i need I can do nameservers from CPanel / WHM. But i want to understand what is it for? and why shall i do Nameserver setup? And how come some people uses other machine nameservers?

If there's any good tutorials manuals or some one can tell it to me i'll really appreciate it.

I don't know much about cPanel -- or any *panel* for that matter -- but I think "nameserver" in this case means DNS.
DNS is how your hostname.domainname.top_level_domain get translated for the computers on the network to understand.
In other words, your sitename, http://www.mysite.com, translates to an IP, say 192.168.21.200. The network of systems really doesn't know what to do with that name; it requires IP addresses for communication. Hence, DNS -- Domain Name System. A client requests your site, their local resolver does a lookup locally, realizes it does not have it (unless someone else looked it up recently and it has that IP cached), so it forwards the request out to the TLD, which moves it all the way down to the entity responsible for that particular domain. That nameserver is queried, and the response (which includes the IP) is sent back to the local resolver -- who then caches it for a period of time -- and forwards that to the client, who then makes yet another connection directed at that particular IP.
They retrieve it, and see the web page.
Why that would be in a panel, unless they offer you the opportunity to have multiple hosts either at the same IP or at different IP's (say, http://www.yoursite.com, database.yoursite.com, was.yoursite.com, etc.).
That makes the most sense to me, though I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

That's my guess anyway. :)

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts