i need advice on getting linux operating system. please answ

• alih786
  • Born
  • Born
  • alih786
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am using windows xp at the moment and thinking of getting linux (dsl) because xp is running slow and it takes up too much of my hard disk space and ram. i only have 18gb of hard disk space and 128mb of ram. and if i do get linux i wud still have a few problems:

1. their wont be a disk cleanup, defragmentor, system restore - wthout these theirs no point of me getting linux.

2. i might get viruses or spyware/adware.

3. i wont be able to install any microsoft applications like office, media player and messenger. - forget about those, the important thing is if i do decide to use linux i must have a defragmentor, disk cleanup and system restore. - these 3 AT LEAST. without them LINUX IS USELESS. by the way i am a normal pc user - bit of word processing, internet surfing.

what wud you recommend. shud i get linux or stick with xp?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see Linux as a total replacement for windows except on rare occasions. I run a Unix box (FreBSD) besides some Windows boxes but that's supplemental.

If XP is runnning slow, then you should correct that problem, not switch OSes. I don't like Linux anyway.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

One reason XP may be running slow is because you have some lower end hardware. Maybe up the RAM to 256MB, even better would be to put in the maximum supported by your mother board. Also, in the admin account, run msconfig, then uncheck anything that might be unneccessary in the services tab and the startup tab. That always makes a noticable difference. But everything I've told you here you could have found out in the windows forum...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

alih786 wrote:
i must have a defragmentor, disk cleanup and system restore. - these 3 AT LEAST. without them LINUX IS USELESS

Be careful on how you define "useless". I've run Windows XP for over 7 years and have never once needed to use Disk Cleanup or perform a system restore. If you can properly maintain your system, such utilities aren't needed quite as often, if at all.

As far as defragmenting is concerned, Linux filesystems usually handle most defragmenting automatically, so manually performing routing defrags is unneeded. Utilities do exist for the task, but they aren't as prevalent as their Windows counterparts.

I agree with Don. I run a Linux box, but along side my primary PC, which runs XP. Don't go replacing your OS just because it's starting to bog down. Fix the problem at hand. It sounds to me like making that kind of switch would cause you more trouble than it's worth.
alih786 wrote:
2. i might get viruses or spyware/adware.

If you think making the switch from Windows to Linux would expose you to more viruses and malware, you need to do a little more research on POSIX systems.
alih786 wrote:
3. i wont be able to install any microsoft applications like office, media player and messenger.

That's right. Well, you could always emulate them using Wine or something similar, but if your going to switch to Linux to do nothing but emulate your Windows applications, then what's the point?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
alih786 wrote:
3. i wont be able to install any microsoft applications like office, media player and messenger.

That's right. Well, you could always emulate them using Wine or something similar, but if your going to switch to Linux to do nothing but emulate your Windows applications, then what's the point?

WINE is actually an acronym, which stands for: Wine Is Not an Emulator >.<

you CAN install office in linux if its absolutely necessary, (access doesn't work) but why? have you ever heard of Open Office?
you dont need windows media player in linux.. there are plenty of applications that come preinstalled that will play all of your video and audio files. the applications that you use in windows every day are not the only applications that exist to do what you want to do :] don't worry, microsoft brainwashes everyone into thinking they have the only solution to your needs.

spork is also right about defragmenting, in linux - you dont do it. the system takes care of itself. windows cant do it because ? microsoft isn't that smart? their OS is just a rip off anyways ? idk.. you tell me. the disk cleanup and all that is necessary in windows, because windows is ..sloppy. if you will. and the mindset you have is correct (that those programs are necessary) - in a windows environment. in linux.. eh.. not so much. and trust me, linux is FAR from useless ^_^

as for viruses / spyware.. uh, whats that? in linux, you dont have to worry about viruses or spyware. the people that write those programs write them for windows. the code for linux is completely different so you could go to every malware spyware infected page you could think of while you're running linux, and it wont do a damn thing to your computer, browser, security, private information... etc :]

my advice would be to do as others suggested and take steps to clean up your current windows install, and fix the problem rather than ignoring it. then if you're still curious about linux, download a livecd or two or go to http://www.ubuntu.com and they will mail you a copy of their cd so you dont have to worry about downloading and burning. yea.. it takes about a month to get the disk(s), but its free ^_^

your ram is fairly low for running xp, especially if you try and do more than one thing at a time (for example, browse the net, listen to music and talk to people on aim/yahoo/msn simultanesouly) so if possible you should upgrade your ram, even if its just a little.

ahh, one more thing.. going from being an average windows user to a new user in linux with completely shutting out windows would probably be quite hard for you so as others have, i'd recommend against that.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
the code for linux is completely different so you could go to every malware spyware infected page you could think of while you're running linux, and it wont do a damn thing to your computer, browser, security, private information... etc :]

download a livecd or two or go to http://www.ubuntu.com and they will mail you a copy of their cd so you dont have to worry about downloading and burning. yea.. it takes about a month to get the disk(s), but its free ^_^

Another thing about the viruses and spyware is that a lot of the people coding them are also using linux, I kind of think there might be an unwritten law that says to refrain from doing that to linux.

Trying a live cd first is definantly the way to go! I got some of those freebie mail order ubuntu cd's once (back in the days of ubuntu 7.04) and I was very surprised. I figured I would get one cd in a paper sleeve with the word "ubuntu" scribbled on it with magic marker, man was I wrong! I got 5 copies of both the live disk and the hard drive install disk, all with professionally made disk labels and really nice cardboard cases for the cd's. The coolest part was that they came from France! Somebody had the heart to put together such a nice set of cd's, then send them half way around the world to me at no charge. Micro$oft never did that, those grouchy old farts.
  • tom2002
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tom2002
  • Loc: Eugene, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with fixing the problem; you are at a minimum for RAM. You need at least 512MB to run XP.

But, that being said, money is always an issue, computers are really not a poor man's game.

Linux does not require much in the way of resources, even running a GUI. Command line TTY's can run on a 386 system.

Go ahead and install Linux, see how you like it. It can read NTFS drives, it just can't write to them. You can install Open Office for free, browse with Firefox, also for free. Running Linux, you 'll never have to pay another dime for anything. Windows was made to make money, plain and simple. It wasn't done as a public service, like Linux was. I admire Linus Torvalds for his charity. Windows has made Bill Gates the second richest man in the world. He used to be the richest, but now some Mexican guy is. I digress.

In any case, young man, you should seek out truth, justice and the American Way, and Linux is the way to do that!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

tom2002 wrote:
Running Linux, you 'll never have to pay another dime for anything.

Except for a good how-to book, essential!
  • geekdw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Original post I'm guessing was a joke...and if you weren't joking please stick with windows :P
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:

lol, I'm well aware of what it stands for, but before you go chastising me for my use of the term "emulate", please note that I do this intentionally on a fairly regular basis for the sheer pleasure of getting a response like that from Linux users. :wink:
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
AnarchY SI wrote:

lol, I'm well aware of what it stands for, but before you go chastising me for my use of the term "emulate", please note that I do this intentionally on a fairly regular basis for the sheer pleasure of getting a response like that from Linux users. :wink:

I'm not really sure what else you would call it anyway... it's like building a car and calling it "NAC - Not A Car". If it looks like a duck, floats, flies and quacks, it's probably not a water buffalo.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
I'm not really sure what else you would call it anyway... it's like building a car and calling it "NAC - Not A Car". If it looks like a duck, floats, flies and quacks, it's probably not a water buffalo.

sotru ^_^
i, like you guys, like poking fun =D hahah
we're geeks. (O_o)
  • tom2002
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tom2002
  • Loc: Eugene, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
tom2002 wrote:

Maybe his local library has a book he can borrow, but never return?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

tom2002 wrote:
kc0tma wrote:
tom2002 wrote:

Maybe his local library has a book he can borrow, but never return?

we dont promote piracy >:O
;P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts