Need Help connecting to Internet - SuSe 9.2

• Theoneandonly
  • Student
  • Student
  • Theoneandonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have SuSe 9.2 and i am trying to connect my computer to the internet.I have a Motorola SURFboard SB5120 USB CABLE MODEM. When i tried to install the software for my modem it goes through like a test first and i past every test except twoe.... the test that i fail in says

Active USB Port - Error
TCP/IP - Error

I had made sure that everything is plug in about 20 times and i even tried proceeding with the installation but when i get to where it test the connection between my modem and my computer it will sit there for about 10 minutes then it will say that it cannot connect.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried using yast?
  • Theoneandonly
  • Student
  • Student
  • Theoneandonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes and i am using WINE to install it because it's a .exe files and it's on a cd.
  • Predius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You cannot use a Windows driver install on Linux. It simply wont work.

Just STFW and look for drivers.
  • Theoneandonly
  • Student
  • Student
  • Theoneandonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

So where can i get a " Motorola SURFboard SB5120 USB CABLE MODEM" driver for Suse then?
  • Predius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Motorola-Su ... ndex.shtml

Try reading that, it's the only guide of your modem I could find. Even though it's another version, it's worth a look.
  • Theoneandonly
  • Student
  • Student
  • Theoneandonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i did and still can't get my modem to connect, i'm trying to conect it by USB but don't know how and i can't find a driver for it so i guess i'll have to remove SUSE and try a different distribution or do you know a way that i can get it to work?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

If no Linux drivers exist, and you have attempted something like ndiswrapper to no avail... I am not sure what your next step could be. I would assume driver support to be fairly universal accross the various and sundry distributions; installing a different brand will likely lend no more positive results.

Cheers.
  • Theoneandonly
  • Student
  • Student
  • Theoneandonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm ndiswrapper never heard of that i just googled and i'm about to give it a go.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

There should be a way to get it working on SuSe. I have a 9.1 system and when I checked /lib/modules there was a module 'usbnet' which supposedly is used with CDCEther to get the Motorola working.

Using the above site and this one:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html

You should be able to get it working, it's just a lot of work. Before you try it you might want to use Yast and add a Network Device that is using USB, it might automatically detect it....(long shot but worth a try takes 5 minutes).

So go to Yast --> Network Devices --> Network Card

From there add a new device that uses USB.

Good luck.
  • Theoneandonly
  • Student
  • Student
  • Theoneandonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link, i will try that sometimes next week as i am already tired playing around with SuSe. I did somehow get the little wire at the bottom to show a lighting kinda symbol which is suppose to mean that the connection is being established but it never connects it just sits there. When i click on view log it says something about pppd can't connect or something like that.

I will try that link next week.

Edit - Problem solved this thread can be closed. Instead of connecting by USB i just connected by ethernet. THANK YOU ALL.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts