Need Help for installing redhat linux rpms for kdevelop....

• skytee
  • Born
  • Born
  • skytee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am totally new to linux and just installed redhat linux 9. I was looking for an ide for C/C++ and found Kdevelop... However, I really don't know how to install it. I downloaded the
'kdevelop-2.1.5_for_KDE_3.1.tar.bz2' and don't know how to install... i tried using the add/remove programs to install the kde development tools, but linux said it needs kdelibs and kdebase and wat not.. anybody can help me? Thanks a million![/i]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm not sure but... "rpm kdevelop-2.1.5_for_KDE_3.1" or something like that.

use the rpm searcher to find the right name, of course redhat might not even have any of that, I know mandrake uses urpmi....
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure what the bz2 extension is. Usually when I download something in Linux I will get something with a .tar.gz ending and I would issue the following commands from the command console to unpack and untar it:

gunzip something.tar.gz
tar -xvf something.tar

and that would place the unpacked and untarred files into a directory called "something" (usually).

At that point you would go inside that directory and read the INSTALL file.

There might be a different command you need to issue to unpack the tar file out of the .bz2
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

well you can't always be right ;)
  • sciwhiz007
  • Born
  • Born
  • sciwhiz007

Post 3+ Months Ago

bz2 is the extension used by bzip2 files. bzip2 is arguably a better file compressor than gzip2 is, although gzip2 is almost certainly more popular. Uncompressing .tar.bz2 files is simple. The easiest way is to do tar jxvf nameoffile.tar.bz2. If the -j option is not recognized, you will have to do it in two steps:

bunzip2 nameoffile.tar.gz
tar xvf nameoffile.tar

(In fact, you can directly uncompress .tar.gz files by replacing the -j option with z)

Regarding the comment about searching for installed rpms on the system, you can use the Package Management utility supplied with RH9, or you can always do rpm -qa | grep packagename to find out if a package is installed on the system.

To install the kdevelop package, all you have to do is either double-click on the package, or for more options and flexibility, do this:

rpm -ivh nameofpackage.rpm (i = install, if you want to upgrade an existing package, use U for upgrade instead. v = verbose, h = install).

Hope that helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts