I need help with Red Hat Linux as soon as possible

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm haveing problems trying to install Red Hat Linux 8.0 for my first time. I put CD 1 in the CD ROM drive and then i restart. It came up to options and it said. What type of media contains the packages to be installed?

Local CDROM
NFS image
FTP
HTTP Hard drive

and then i picked Local CDROM. It came up to be an error. It said this. The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD and press OK to retry. I tryed both my DVD drive and my CDROM drive. It still came up with errors. What could be the problem? Can someone help me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you burn your own redhat CD? or did you buy one? The reason I asked is because it could be possible that maybe you didn't burn the Redhat CD right, and the comptuter simply isn't recognizing the cd.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I burned my own and i use alcohol 120% to burn it. I'm almost positive that i burn it right. I'm re downloading it with a 56k from a different site that i got the last one.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where are you downloading from?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last one that did not work i got that from http://www.linuxiso.org
and this one is from ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/mirrors/re ... n/iso/i386

Do you download yours and where did you download it from?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the one you are downloading from now looks fine. You need to download all the iso files, and then using a program that knows how to burn .iso files to 5 cds. You do not burn them as files to the cds. You have to use a program that knows how to burn the .iso format. I am not sure if you are doing that part right or not. How are you burning them?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. Do you know how to use alcohol 120%? I did this to burn the .iso. I open up alcohol 120% and then i clicked on image burning wizard and then i browse where i had the file saved to and then i burn it. It's the easier with alcohol to burn .iso's then using nero. There are the only two burning programs i have or unless you have an easier one.

So far, Did i do that right?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure how to use alcohol 120%, but I do know Nero can specifically burn .iso files. With Nero though, make sure you simply do not burn the file to the cd. You must goto the File menu, and then to Burn image... Once there select the .iso file to burn and it will burn the image the correct way.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never used Redhat Linux before. I have windows XP professional running on a compaq presario. Mostly like my sound card and other hardware drivers all build in my motherboard. Will Linux recognize my drivers or will i run in to a problem? If i do. When the time comes. Can you help me?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should recognize most of everything for you. There might be a few things you have to select yourself, but for the most part its pretty easy to isntall. Well at least for me :)

Anyway yah feel free to post any questions about redhat in the redhat forum.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have your redhat set up as a dual boot? I'm asking this question because i'm going to set up a dual boot with windows XP and redhat. I got instructions on it but do you know how hard is it? I was reading that i would have to make room for redhat but i only have 1 hard drive not 2 hard drives. Do you know where i can download the new version of windows from it's called Longhorn.? Please send me the link. Maybe i will set up a mutiple dual boot

Thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently I do not have it as dual boot, but I have had it that way in the past. If you using only one hard drive you need to have a seperate Windows partition, and then one or more linux partitions (depending on how you set it up). If you do decide to use windows xp and linux together, I would strongly recommend that you setup Windows XP first, and make sure that when you create the partition, that you leave alot of the space on the hard drive not allocated to any partition, as that is where you will be placing the linux partition when you install redhat. I would make sure you have at least 2 gigs free for the linux partition. The more the better.

As far as downloading Longhorn, I am not sure offhand, I am sure somebody else might know.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you find out where to download Longhorn from and then reply the link to me? If possible try to get the link to me tonight. I am not sure who would know

Thank You
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,715449,00.asp

so apparently it has leaked but i have not been able to find it anywhere as of yet...

i havent tried Kazaa yet as im sure it would be a bunch of fake ones... but that might be a start too...
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

buddy of mine has longhorn and windows xp media edition.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where did you buddy get Longhorn from? Can you send me the link so i can download it?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimmie, Where did your buddy get Longhorn from? Can you please reply to me with the link some time today?

Thanks
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

After this download with Redhat Linux 8.0 is complete. Will i still get the same error as i did with the last website when i tryed to install it?

Thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably, it seems like nothing works on your computer haha.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

Why am i downloading Redhat for nothing? If i get errors. Will you help me with that?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The goal of this forum is to have everybody help everyone. So yes hopefully someone will look at your post and help you. You do not have to say "Attention Bigwebmaster" all the time. I am just a moderator and will participate in discussions. One of my main goals is to have everyone help each other out. So when you say "Attention Bigwebmaster" it appears you are only wanting a response from me, which I discourage. So far you have not helped anyone, not really what we are looking for here. Participate in other posts besides your own and more people might be in tune to helping you too.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone

I downloaded 2 out of 5 disc of Redhat Linux 8.0. I'm downloading the other 3 now. I did a quick test by putting disc 1 in my DVD drive and then i restart. So far i have not got any errors. Is linux partitons the same as linux swap? or are they different? Hopefully i don't get any errors.

Thanks everyone

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts