I need help with Redhat Linux errors

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My download with Redhat Linux was complete today. I'm getting this error.

The following critical errors exist with your requested partitioning scheme.

You have not defined a root partition (/), which is required for installation of Redhat Linux to continue.

These errors must be corrected prior to continuing your install of Redhat.

Can someone please help me? I wanted to install Redhat tonight.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try following these directions, it might help you solve your problem.

For disk partitioning setup choose Manually partition with disk druid
Here you can delete any partitions that were left on the drive if you need to.

On a new drive or a drive with no partitions Click NEW and choose /boot make sure that you select ext3 for the partition and choose the default 100meg size.

Before you make the main partition figure out how much ram you have. If you have 128meg than you want to make a 256 meg swap partition but not yet

Now select NEW and create the root partition labeled "/" for root

Now select NEW and choose swap and make it double you're memory. If you calculated it right you should have no drive space left. This is the right way to partition you're drive for a first time setup and especially if you got a small harddrive.

You must make partitions in this order /boot, /, swap (boot, root, and swap)

Unlike windows which uses the remaining hardrive space as a swap file this lets you fill up the harddrive completely if you wan't with out crashing the computer.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i did everything right until i choose swap. I got this error.

Could not allocate requested partitions. Partitioning failed. Could not allocate partitions.

That was the error i got when i choose swap. Everything else was right. What could be the problem with that error?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try the same thing but adjusting the sizes around to see if that might help. Make sure you have enough for the swap.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

no did not help. I tryed all different types of numbers for the size.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still getting this error message. How can i fix that error?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many partitions do you have on your drive right now? You should just have one for Windows XP, and nothing else. If you have other partitions you need to delete those.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just deleted them and then i made the swap. I went /boot, /root" and swap. It's telling me that i have not defined a root partition. I thought i just made my root partition. What's up with that?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The root partition is just simply /
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I have this problem. I don't have enough disk space. How do i make room for more space? Here is the following message i was getting.

You don't appear to have enough disk space to install the packages you've selected. You need more space on the following file system:

Mount point Space needed

/ 463M
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to backup to the partitioning steps then and reallocate more to the / partition and give less to some of the other partitions. Either that or dont install so many of the packages (choose less things to install) and that will solve your problem.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting this bug error. Is it possable you or someone else can help remove it without me going to file a compliate? I was you the messages.

The file

/mnt/sysimage/var/tmp/glibc-common-2.2.9

3-5.i386.rpm cannot be opened. This is due to a missing file, a bad package, or bad media. Press <return> to try again.

An unhandle exception has occurred. This is most likely a bug. Please copy the full txt of this exception or save the crash dump to a floppy then file a detailed bug report against anaconda at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 694, in?

intf.run (id, dispatch, configFileData)

File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 446, in run

dispatch.gotoNext ()

I hope someone can help me
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did anyone read over the Redhat errors? Can someone please help me with the errors so i can fix it? If there is a bug. Can someone help me remove it?

Thanks everyone.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like either a corrupted file on your download, or a bug, I do not know. When I install Redhat it usually goes pretty smoothly.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the best website to download Redhat Linux? and what is the best site that won't give me any problems? It seems like where ever i try to download it always giveing me problems.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You got me, I never have problems from any of them. I would just upgrade your connection or go buy it in the store.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might upgrade my coonection. For right now, i can't do it. There is no way i can upgrade it now. I'm paying off a long distance bill that i ran up in June or July of last year. It was between $1100-$1300. It was around that with change. I'm still paying it off this day. I can't buy it in the store because i don't have the money. Is it possable that you can upload your Redhat to this site? ozzu.com i'm talking about. I don't know how you would do it. My guess i would make a new topic.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, sorry I cannot do that, and you would still have to download it with your poor connection anyway. All those mirror servers on Redhat are fine, I never have problems with them. I do not think it costs that much either. I think you can order it online from somewhere for really cheap. Probably less than 20 bucks.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i just reported this bug at bugzilla. I'm going to see if they can fix this problem.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't count on them fixing it any time soon if it is a bug. You might just try to install again, and if you keep getting the same error, then just make sure you don't install that package by going to custom install and selecting exactly which packages you want.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

They e-mail me back. It's not an installation bug. It might be a bad media. They suggest i should burn another set of CD's. They don't understand why i posted it as a comment.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it sounds like maybe your download was a bit corrupted, probably because of your connection to the internet. Your best bet is to probably go buy it somewhere, or online. Or you can try to re-download it.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have some questions but i don't know should i post it in this topic or make a new topic.

I think the best way for me to get Redhat Linux is to build it from scratch. Can someone give me some step by step instructions on how to do this? Can someone tell me what kind of programs i need? and how to write the linux myself? I think Bigwebmaster is a programer. I'm kindly asking for help. If someone has to take me through it step by step. That's fine. I hope everyone knows what i'm talking about. I don't know where to begin on searching. My guess i probably would have to post this question in the C++ languages. If that was what linux wrote.

Thanks for any help.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not exactly sure if I understand correctly, but you are wanting to write your own Operating System based on Linux? If so that would definetely need to be a new topic as that has nothing to do with the current subject.
  • permata
  • permata
  • Loc: Kuala Lumpur

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm having problem to store data in one of my partation giving error message "no space left on device" though it only use 51% of the total allocated size. The size of my partation is 4.2GB.

Can anyone help me on this. BTW I'm using RedHat Linux 7.5.

TQ
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

rehat linux is a discontinued OS. Try Mandrake or Suse, if you want a supported distro that is also easy to use.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts