I need some help tonight by writing Linux

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really need some help.

Can someone please help me by writing my own Redhat Linux? Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I know it has alot to do with programming. I think Bigwebmaster is a programmer so he might know more about this. I want to start from all the way from the beginning to the end. What types of programs will i need? What kind of languages did Linux write with?

Please reply back tonight

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, this would be a huge task and would probably have to be a pretty advanced programmer to pull this one off. I do not think its something you could just pull off without much much experience. Why would you want to do this anyway when you have extremely stable Linux built systems out there such as Redhat and Debian? Just for learning purposes?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every time i go to download it. I always get errors trying to install it. I figure if i build it my own it will work. Is there an easy way and a hard to do this? I think i could give it my best try.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I don't think the problem is the software you are downloading. I think the problem is either your hardware in your computer has problems, or your download was just corrupted. I have used many versions of Linux with no problems. Maybe try a Redhat 7 or Redhat 8 release if you do not think the Redhat 9 version works for you. I currently use Redhat 7.3 on my systems.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was useing redhat 8. Can you help me try to build it??
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mean redhat 8 did not work
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't even know where to start on building your own Operating system based on Linux. That is out of my league, and I am not sure you really want to go there unless your reasoning is simply for learning purposes. If your reasoning is just trying to get Redhat or another Linux based O/S to work then you just need to try redownloading or go buy it online or in a store. Simple as that, not sure what else I can say anymore.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I been trying to search the web for ftp sites for Redhat Linux 9 and i have found none. Does anyone have an ftp site for linux 9. I'm going to try to redownload 9 not 8 this time.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first mirror that I decided to pick on the mirrors page located here:

http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

has redhat 9. I am pretty sure many of the mirrors have it. You just aren't trying or looking very hard. Anyway the first mirror I went to was:

ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/redha ... /iso/i386/

and you will see all the iso images for redhat 9 in there. It works perfectly fine 8)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just started downloading it too to see how fast it was, and I am downloading at

1336 Kbps (or 167 KB/sec)

which is incredibly fast. So it seems to be a very very nice server. However with your connection you will not benefit at all from it.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm downloading it now. I'm downloading shrike discs from 1-3. Do i also have to download shrike SRPMS. I rather just download the three i'm downloading now. This is less discs then redhat 8 has.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a look at this site. If you can. You could help me.

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200302/fbsdscratch.html

It's not Redhat, It's FreeBSD
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah looks like a guide to walk you through it. Not too bad. Just read it over and follow the directions and you should be fine. I am not going to read it for you. Sorry.
  • The Visitor
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsantamassino12 wrote:
Take a look at this site. If you can. You could help me.

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200302/fbsdscratch.html

It's not Redhat, It's FreeBSD

I know I'm a little late, but are you trying to install FreeBSD or Red Hat?

If you're trying to install FreeBSD, this will not help you, as it requires a working FreeBSD installation.

If you're trying to install Red Hat, this will not help you, as installing FreeBSD and installing Red Hat are two completely different things.

As a suggestion, take a look at the manual for whatever you're going to be installing before you install it. Just so you can get an idea of what you're going to need to do. I've done installations of several different types of *nix, and this is something that has saved me a lot of trouble later.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was plan on installing Redhat 8.0. That link tells you how to build FreeBSD from scratch. That link is more complex and it's harder to do. Is there anything else you need to know?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts