I need some serious help with linux

• HellsAdvocate
  • Born
  • Born
  • HellsAdvocate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok my friend said i need to download linux core and compile it so i can get csh shell, ksh shell, and bash shell from it.

i have absolutely no idea how to do this, i think i have a compiler(vb6). i don't know where to download the core or w/e or how to install it or where or anything, i really need help. please help. i can show you the convo i had with him if it will help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow.

Perhaps you should NOT get linux just yet. I am not trying to belittle you, it just seems as though this might be something you are not yet ready for.

If you are interested in just getting shell, try Cygwin. Unix-like environment that runs under windows.

However, if you have your mind made up that you wish to take the plunge, understand several important facts;
* Linux does NOT run UNDER windows -- it is an operating system in and of itself.
* It does not necessarily require compilation; several Linux flavors have complete binary installations.
* The ones that do require compilation come complete with GCC, the GNU C compiler. You cannot even consider using a VB "compiler" with C code.
* Unless you have the means and knowledge to execute a partition change to install in dual-boot fashion a linux partition on the same system you now run Windows, DO NOT ATTEMPT. I say that merely to save you the headache of sudden realization that you lost your only functioning OS.

That having been said, you can get various and sundry install ISO's for the varied flavors of Linux. I would suggest something easy to start, say Mandrake or Debian.

An even better idea is to grab an ISO of Knoppix, which will run the entire linux OS off of the CD itself. This gives you the opportunity to try it out, without disturbing the contents of your hard drive, and thus losing your Windows instance.

A google search for those names will turn up the proper resources, as well as a search on this forum, as they have been mentioned ad nauseam.

Cheers.
  • HellsAdvocate
  • Born
  • Born
  • HellsAdvocate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
If you are interested in just getting shell, try Cygwin. Unix-like environment that runs under windows.

Cheers.

i do know that it is a whole os. i think i want the cygwin. can you help me with that?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.cygwin.com/
  • HellsAdvocate
  • Born
  • Born
  • HellsAdvocate

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW thanks , my friend said it will work. its downloading now and stuff. don't close this topic just in case i have some problems.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts