Network Linux / Win XP Pro using Router

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently getting ready to take the plunge from windows, for numerous reasons, but need to know a bit more about networking. My home network is roughly as follows:

P2P network with a router and a network ADSL modem.
My brother and my parents all use Win XP pro.
File sharing is not a huge issue but printer-sharing is.

So my questions are:
1) I assume there is no problem connecting to the internet there is no need for connecting to any windows machine.
2) Looking at previous posts, similar to this I got the impression thet file sharing between linux/windows needs to be done via ftp. Is this right ?
3) Is printer-sharing even possible between linux and windows.

If you need any more info then just ask.
Thanks for the help.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe it depends on where the printer is. I know if one of the xp computers has a printer on it, all they have to do is install the "optional networking components" which is file and print services for unix. Then as long as you can join their workgroup you should be able to see that printer if it is shared. Hope this helps a little.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Nope, you could have your Windows & Linux machines on the net simultaneously through the router. All a router does is get an IP address from the cablemodem/DSL, then allocate IP addresses to machines on your lan via DHCP.

2. You can share files & folders via Samba. As to whether or not Linux will support your printer and share it using Samba, I've no idea, I've never tried it.

3. I know it's possible - I know people who have setup Linux print servers in the past, but I've never needed to look into it myself, so I'm not sure of the specifics.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The printer would be on my m/c (the linux). Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go have a look at Samba, see if there is anything in any documentation.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Samba can be used to share a printer, but you don't really need to do that with lpd. You can simply share via the IP; but whatever works best for you.

I am guessing you mean a cable/dsl 'router' from say linksys or what not, and not a true router, such as a cisco 2900 series. :) In that case all you need to do is plug them all into the back, since that gear provides dhcp addressing. To do windows shares across the network, you don't even have to install samba, unless you want to share off the linux box as well.

Have fun.

Cheers.
  • spiderxmen82
  • Born
  • Born
  • spiderxmen82

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem. I have a home server with a usb DSL modem acting as a gateway internet and connect with a wireless network to 2 Win Xp desktops. shouldn't be a problem the network because the server uses an access point that he actually sees as a simple 100 Mbit lan. but what about the dsl modem? I'm I going to find the drivers? Also this server has the printer on it(via usb). I don't have a router so how can I share the printer?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

spiderxmen82 wrote:
I have the same problem. I have a home server with a usb DSL modem acting as a gateway internet and connect with a wireless network to 2 Win Xp desktops. shouldn't be a problem the network because the server uses an access point that he actually sees as a simple 100 Mbit lan. but what about the dsl modem? I'm I going to find the drivers? Also this server has the printer on it(via usb). I don't have a router so how can I share the printer?

OK, let me see if I got this right....
You have a Windows machine acting in the capacity of gateway to your DSL link, (eg. the DSL is plugged into your Win box, which has two nics, the other end plugs into a WAP device, which provides wi-fi for your house. On this primary server/WS you are running a printer.

Oi.

Well, most WAP devices have the capability to provide internally addressable IP's, and then NAT (Network Address Translation) the connection back to the outside.
Of course, you can circumvent this and use your internet connection sharing but I am not certain why you would want to do that.
I am also not sure why anyone would run print drivers on an externally facing machine -- bad ju ju.
However, that having been said, in your configuration, yes you could share the printer. The Windows machine should be configured to share the device.
One does not need to locate drivers for a DSL modem, if I understand your setup correctly. It's an external device which speaks TCP/IP with your next hop -- in this instance, your windows server. The windows box will obtain an address -- either an external one, or perhaps the DSL NAT's; some do.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts