Networking - Windows XP with Redhat Linux 9

• RedhatJax
  • RedhatJax
  • Loc: Illinois

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
In a week I'm getting Redhat for Christmas (yay!) and I'm going to install it to my extra harddrive. (It won't be a dual boot)
Anyway, I can't put WINE on because I obviously don't know how to network Redhat with Windows XP to use the internet, and I don't have anything big enough to transfer WINE from computer to computer. (Space wise) So what I'm asking basically is how can I network Redhat with Windows XP to use the internet, XP being the host computer that uses the internet. I'm not using a router (hub) I'm just using from card to card with a cable.
Any help will be appreciated
Also, where can I find free online manuals or tutorials to Redhat? I want to get a head start :)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, I still don't understand why anyone would buy Linux when they could just download it. :P

Anyhoo...I don't know the answer to your networking question, but I'm sure that it can easily be found by using Google. As for RedHat manuals, try these: https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/
I'm sure that there are a TON of others out there if you just look for them. Good luck, and welcome to the Good Side! :wink:
  • RedhatJax
  • RedhatJax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the manual. A lot of people are still on 56k modems like me, so it'd take 27 hours to download one Linux disk. (And I don't have a burner :wink: )
Anyway, Google I tried. I get a lot of support sites with stuff like "I did this and this and the network still doesn't work!" that doesn't explain how to network it :oops:
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm, that is a bummer. I'm also having a problems configuring my wireless network card in Linux. It's all Windows' fault. ::grumble:: Stupid monopoly.

The only other thing that I can suggest is to ask the genius people here:
http://justlinux.com/
  • RedhatJax
  • RedhatJax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm more worried about if my NIC is compatible. I think I found how to network it with those Redhat Manuals you showed me :)
  • RedhatJax
  • RedhatJax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone help me? :x :?:
  • Lieven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

In WinXP: rightclick on your dial-up connection icon and choose sharing.
Check the "share this internet connection with my home network" checkbox.

If your NIC in RedHat is detected (99% success rate unless you have an ISA or wireless card), your linux box will get everything it needs through DHCP so you won't even need to configure an IP-address.
  • RedhatJax
  • RedhatJax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I talked to a certified Linux Pro and that's what he said to do too :)
  • RedhatJax
  • RedhatJax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just letting everyone know that I got it networked thanks! :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

FYI: Internet Connection Sharing is the Microsoft way of saying Network Address Translation (NAT). Basically, the computer is multi-homed (two network cards) and operating as a gateway (a router/translator). Essentially, the computer is resending outgoing packets as if it was the requesting computer (and similar in reverse).

NAT is most definitely available for Linux. (Just in case you want to go that way).

Since routing and packet re-writing is somewhat CPU intensive, the computer must remain on, vulnerable to operating system crashes, and usually only supports one additional computer, you may want to consider a hardware NAT and concentrator (hub). D-Link and Linksys both make great units for home use that support 4 or more computers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts