New linux install problems

• MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my foot in the door for the world of linux. I downloaded the Fedora 4 DVD iso yesterday and burned it to DVD, but my computer will not recognize it as bootable.

So I downloaded the 4 CD iso's and did the same thing, with the same results.

To answer a common question that I know will be asked, I did burn the iso to disk using Nero's "Burn saved project" or something like that (can't remember the exact phrase) and it has all the files on the disk. I didn't just copy the .iso file to disk directly.

Can anybody give me something that might help? Is there something else that I should do to make the disk bootable?

Thanks for the help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tomasz Guzialek
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Poznan (Poland)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hm. Maybe you should make CD-ROM the first boot device in BIOS? Have you checked that?
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup. checked it and I know it recognizes other bootable CDs cuz I reinstalled XP yesterday. I just don't think it likes a CD-R as a boot disk.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

try using alcohol 120%. in my opinion it is superior to nero when it comes to iso's. you can download the free trial from their site.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless Nero just will not work, I would rather not install any extra software.

I know that Nero burns ISOs good, cuz my Xbox was even able to boot from a CD-R that I burned.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it seems you know what your doing with nero and it still isnt working which is odd since you say youve done it before. so what do you have to lose to try a different app. 3 4 min of downloading time and installation and 1 min for uninstalling. other than that i dont know what else to suggest. i use alcohol for all my linux iso's and it has yet to fail me.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm beginning to think that it's my cd drive. It is slow reading DVD-Rs anyway, so I'm gonna try to borrow an extreanal CD drive from work and see if that will work. If not then oh well, i'll just have to wait until I can get an actuall CD.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts