New Linux Software Wiki

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just put this online at http://www.ribosi.com/index.php?main_page=softwiki Sign up for a free account to add and edit software. There's no catch, the only reason I require a log in is for administrative control. Also as a control, everything must be approved before it's allowed to go public. I did this merely to stop spam and software that doesn't belong. Software doesn't have to be open source to be included, but it does have to run on Linux. As time goes by and I'm able to see just what controls are really required, I foresee opening this up a bit.

It's brand new, so there's no software in it yet. By my own efforts, this will change soon. With some community involvement, this will change drastically.

The main feature of this wiki is the ability for users to search a Windows application and see alternatives for Linux. So, someone searching a Windows alternative of "MS Word" might get a response of Abiword, OpenOffice.org and Kwrite.

There's still some backend work to finalize, but nothing that would stop software from being entered now, which is why I put it online. I'll be polishing it out for the next week or so (don't worry, I do my work on a non-live server) doing things like adding software comments and I'm playing with the idea of BBCode support. Still, if you encounter bugs, please let me know about them using the contact form on the site.

Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DebianSpiral
  • DebianSpiral
  • Loc: East Coast U.S.A

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, i'll sign up right now and start adding away :-D.

When I tried to signup it said there was an SMTP error. I clicked back and saw that my account was created though. I clicked to sign up for the newsletter so i'm assuming that just won't get sent.

No access to the wiki either, when I went to search it said click here to sign up to edit the wiki, I clicked and it took me to a page for editing my account and such.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it won't, I was nice enough to just throw it up there and not change the mail server settings.

oops
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

should work now, sorry

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts