New to Linux, where to get started with Fedora Core 3?

• dismissed
  • Born
  • Born
  • dismissed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Want to expand my knowledge a little bit, and have heard lots of good things about using Linux, so I installed Fedora Core 3 on my 2nd hard drive. Used the dual boot mode, but will be transfering that HD to my other PC before long.

I've logged in Fedora, browsed the net, updated, and played a few games, but really don't know where to start learning how to do things with it.

Are there any "free" writeups or websites that aim to teach people these types of things? Appreciate any input, and look forward to learning plenty.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really depends on what you want to learn. If you don't have anything specific I would just suggest you continue using Linux, eventually thing's should come up and you'll learn how to deal with them.

You might also want to experiment with things, I've found that running various servers to be quite educational.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.fedorafaq.org/ is a good place to get you started on basic setup tweaks, other than that I'd recommendjust trying to use it; you'll quickly start to learn useful stuff. I've been using Fedora for about a year now and would never go back to Windows (although i do have a laptop running Windows which is used for games :oops: ).
  • dismissed
  • Born
  • Born
  • dismissed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input guys. I'm printing the FAQ as I type this.

I'd like to learn how to use Linux as a server, and be able to use that PC to watch movies on. I installed a satelite for a programmer that did this, and ran it all through a 40someodd inch plasma TV, and this is what sparked my interest in learning Linux.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linux is well worth spending some time getting into, it has completely changed the boundarys of computing for me. Before I could do what M$ wanted me to, now I feel anything is possible with system, it's just a matter of knowledge and time and you can do all kinds of amazing things with your system.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have some suggestions :) Fedora's update tool (the flashing red icon) is pretty .. not good, to put terms nicely. lol so i suggest when you update, to do it through yum and apt :) yum comes installed with fedora and you can download apt here
and then after you get apt installed, open a terminal.. su <enter> *password, u wont see the cursor move* <enter>
Code: [ Select ]
apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic
  1. apt-get update
  2. apt-get install synaptic

also, if you want a gui for yum check here for yumex (yum extender)..

some other good forums to check out and browse are:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/
http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=19 (yes, thats from memory ;)) lol

learning to execute tasks through the terminal is a great ability to have, especially when it comes to compressing (which i still have problems with) and decompressing files (such as .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .zip, etc..) but if you use the KDE desktop, its made easy, lol. also - if you have a cd / dvd burner, IMO you should install K3B and the K3B mp3 plugin ;) (allows you to burn mp3 cd's, lol) mm..thats all for now. :) hope this helps

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts