New user...another head-scratcher...

• Fenix
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run a small internet café here in the Philippines. I have windows XP with mozilla as my browser. I want to know what Linux OS will work best on a network.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

In what capacity? Desktop? Server? Application node? Database back-end? Firewall? Honeynet?

Are they for; experienced users? newbies? patrons? friends who wish to serve content?

My point being, you have to ask specific questions if you desire specific answers.

Another problem with a question such as this, is it tends to open a 'moron valve' for a lot of people; they spew forth opinions expressed as facts. Everyone has their favorites, and I would venture to say we run the gambit here, however narrowing your search parameters might ease the flow of raw emotional responses.

Not to mention you might actually receive some insightful information which you can actually put to good use.

Cheers.

To everyone else:
Once again people, if you answer this post... try to do so with as little "my OS is better than your OS" and other such inane arguments. ;)
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

It also depends on whether or not you should change your OS to Linux. What does your internet Cafe do? As in sell, here in Vancouver most of our internet cafe's are for teenagers who go there to play games on either the LAN or to play games they don't have at home.

While emulating Windows on Linux is coming along it's a lot of work to get the new games running if thats even possible.

If your worried about security you might want to setup a Linux box as a firewall and leave the computers running Windows. That way you'll have the security but without having to go through so much effort to emulate all the games under Linux.

Also if your trying to make your computers such that people can't screw around with them (as in format it) you might consider using something like Deep Freeze that automatically restores the system.

However if your just using the computers to surf the net, and send emails and the like there are a lot of different distributions you might like. If your new to Linux I would advise you to install Linux yourself and use it a bit before installing it on all the computers. This way if somehow one of systems broke down you would at least have some experience in fixing it.

Finally, you might not want to move to Linux, just for the sole reason that most people know how to use Windows. If you present to them a entirely new OS there will be a lot of questions and you might not want to deal with all of them.

Hope this helps.
  • Fenix
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your replies. I don't know if I am being specific but here goes: I want to use at least 3 computers in my shop as testing grounds and as a way for me to learn how to use Linux OS. Some of my customers don't mind as long as they have yahoo messenger. In short, I have ten PC's and 1 server. Maybe 2 or 3 units will be Linux. My patrons mostly are students taking up computer subjects so they really won't mind at all.. I heard from one of my friends that Linux was better. I am thinking of just installing the minimum of softwares like YM and some network games.
Since it's too early for that, I might take the latter suggestion (no offense Daemonguy). Maybe I'll just toy around with one PC just to be familiar. Thanks. ;)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fenix wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I don't know if I am being specific but here goes: I want to use at least 3 computers in my shop as testing grounds and as a way for me to learn how to use Linux OS. Some of my customers don't mind as long as they have yahoo messenger. In short, I have ten PC's and 1 server. Maybe 2 or 3 units will be Linux. My patrons mostly are students taking up computer subjects so they really won't mind at all.. I heard from one of my friends that Linux was better. I am thinking of just installing the minimum of softwares like YM and some network games.
Since it's too early for that, I might take the latter suggestion (no offense Daemonguy). Maybe I'll just toy around with one PC just to be familiar. Thanks. ;)

No offense taken. My point was actually to make sure you knew what you intended to use them for, and pattern your OS choice around those requirements.

Sounds like you have done just that.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts