oldcomputer

• lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok well my computer got stolen from my apartment and so i wentto the thrift store and found a 450MHz P3 unit with 256 megs of ram. its pretty old and pretty lame but im going to put linux on my spare 200 gig Hard drive and pop it in. i was wandering if anyone could recomend a distro that would run well on such a machine
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may want to try the "small" distro's, DSL (damn small linux) and puppy linux (search google or distrowatch.com to get their homepages). i would post the links but i'm on the slowest wireless you've ever seen with the router a good 300ft away through buildings & its raining :]

i also made a post in the linux forum titled something to the effect of "whats the best distro of linux..", in that post theres a link that could be useful for you. itd be on the first or second page of the linux forum. i've been trying to find it but i've only loaded about 12 posts on the first page :(
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run Fedora 6 on a machine with the same processor and a gig of RAM with no problems. I've been upgrading this thing for years now without a hitch or need to upgrade any hardware on system. The machine acts as my domain controller and serves SSO and roaming profiles to ~50 clients.

That said, the Fedora desktop is pretty resource intensive (compared to other distributions), so I would assume anything would run OK on it. If you have problems with low memory (very likely), switch the Metacity window manager for Fluxbox. Note that I didn't say to replace gnome with it, just run gnome-panel, nautilus and the rest under fluxbox and you'll see huge improvements in speed and responsiveness. I'd say also KDE is right out for this system due to it's huge memory footprint.

HTH
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm..question this (heh): do you use it as a "personal desktop" at all?
that's whered i'd be curious as to how it performs.. :nods:

& with 256MB of ram you'd definitely want to take memory-saving measures, hence my original suggestion
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have actually used it as a workstation, and it has actually been usable. Though the upgrade to 1GB was very much due to a slow Gnome. I wouldn't suggest playing games on it or anything like that, and pirut crushes the processor. However, it works fine for my needs - and I don't usually have the GUI running (though it is installed in a disabled state for various reasons). Realistically speaking, the OP has enough hard drive space to install everything. From there they can just pull out/replace applications that bog down the system too much. the "top" command is your friend here.

My point here is that you can indeed trim your desktop down so you don't have the latest and greatest of everything on it. If Nautilus won't run, use the Gnome Commander, If Metacity eats too much RAM, use Fluxbox and so on. When you get down to it, there is no need to install a "small" distribution because Linux is Linux and you can strip out whatever you don't need or can't run from any distro. Using Fedora, you'd have a very good desktop with less fudging around with it (by simply removing packages).

As a personal system, I could very easily use my DC as a personal system if I wanted to, but I don't play graphically intense games or graphic design. All I do is administer servers and write code, for which a 386 would be usable if it were required (most servers are strictly CLI anyway). Those specs though will allow him to actually run Gnome, Firefox, Thunderbird and Abiword - and perhaps even OpenOffice with little frustration.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my actual desktop on that system, just to show that it works.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea. i guess here it would really depend on the OPs comfort level with linux and how much "extra work" he/she wanted to put into it. but now you've got me curious.. oddly enough i also have a 450MHz P3 with 384MB of ram so i think i'm going to experiment with it.. lol altho maybe not bc i'd have to add a dvd player to it or download the fc6 cds =\

/* hahah..nice DP ;]
but i was never doubting you. u g0tz sk1llz..
it just doesn't seem to me like itd be very useable as a stripped down win2k didn't run all that great.
but i'll bite, i'll give it a try..
*/
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
maybe not bc i'd have to add a dvd player to it or download the fc6 cds =\

All you need is the first two, just don't select any packages during installation (uncheck Productivity and select "Customize Later").

btw - good to see you again,
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm..good to know (about the first 2 disks).
the college has been keeping me busy :[
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

On a separate tangent from what your talking about, I've used Puppy linux on a Pentium 166 mhz with 384mb ram and it worked pretty well, I had it running from a live cd then just put it on the hd because I wanted it to be permenent. The GUI on Puppy linux is not so pretty but it may be the only choice with system specs like that.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yeaa 166 is pretty low.. i've seen quite a few screenys tho of puppy setups that had some pizazz to them.
you'd just have to modify it a bit :] lol

onboard graphics tho?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this: how would you go about replacing metacity with fluxbox? is it similar to openbox --replace ? or would you have to setup a config file telling it to run gnome-panel and nautilus with fluxbox?
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
You may want to try the "small" distro's, DSL (damn small linux) and puppy linux (search google or distrowatch.com to get their homepages). i would post the links but i'm on the slowest wireless you've ever seen with the router a good 300ft away through buildings & its raining :]

i also made a post in the linux forum titled something to the effect of "whats the best distro of linux..", in that post theres a link that could be useful for you. itd be on the first or second page of the linux forum. i've been trying to find it but i've only loaded about 12 posts on the first page :(

i allready looked at it. the download i used was a bad link. it also didnt recommend anything that would run all to well on my system

and this312 i cant stand fluxbox or metacity. i only like KDE or GNOME

ill have to get used to it tho with this POS computer. im downloading DSL now

and yes this a personal use only comp. nothin but listening to music, web browsing, and IMing. with a littlebit of wordprocessor thrown occasionally.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah :D that's funny. not to make you feel bad, but..
metacity is GNOMEs window manager. so you just said you dont and do like it all in the same statement. lol

but this is right, i installed FC5 (bc my FC6 disk wouldn't boot) and it works well enough to use. and he's not saying to use fluxbox without gnome, he's saying to use fluxbox in place of metacity with the rest being taken care of by the gnome defaults. did you look at his screenshot?
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol i wis thinking of x desktop not metacity. i was tired and rushed so i didnt look at the ss could i get a link to fedora 5 please. if you have it ofcourse. or if you have a torrent file that would be good
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol silly kids.. always wanting things the easy way ;P

Fedora's main page: http://www.fedoraproject.org
Fedora's main download page: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... /i386/iso/
Fedora's mirror download page: http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist
Fedora mirror I always use: http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/fedora. ... inux/core/

the current version is 6, if you navigate to to link i posted for the gatech mirror, you can choose v4-6 or the current test (which Fedora 7 will be released May 24th) and then you can continue to download the iso for the desired version by clicking the version number (such as 5), then the proc type (i386) then iso. theres a dvd or cd iso's available, and as this said if you choose the install he mentioned you'll only need the first 2 disks.
good luck
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks. do you know where i can get older distros for suse. i love suse but i cant verry easilly find older distros. i geuss i just dont have the patience to pick through 90 pages of google
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok well now ive gotta decide which to use. so ill ask what is better in everyones opinion. puppy or DSL?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i looked at a couple of the mirrors and only saw suse as early as v10.1

i've tried to use puppy but it didnt like the POS pc i was trying to use it on. DSL is ok but didn't have enough built in for my taste

why did you choose against suse or fedora?
  • NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering how did u pass the 256MB of Ram and 40GB HDD space on the P3 450? My old pc was a P3 450 and it didnt want to go beyond those 2 limits.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

my guess is your problem was motherboard limitations, not cpu limitations. the proc doesn't really have anything to do with how much ram or hard drive space a system can take
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i have a nice(for what it is) mainboard. the bios allows for up to 3 512 sticks of ram and an infinate HDD space

and AnarchY what do you mean by
AnarchY SI wrote:
why did you choose against suse or fedora?

if you mean which i perferr i dont partivularly like fedora. i never have and no i dont know why. id pick SUSE, Debian, or Mandriva if i had a choice
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ok, so why dont you try installing one of those over DSL or puppy?
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of the 3 debian is probably the best bet.

mandriva 2007 is badly broken from my experiences with it last week, and suse has certain modules (not explaining but they relate to p2p applications) disabled at kernal level.

I'm running debian etch on a p3 600 with 512 ram as my main system. It ran pretty well on 256, but extra memory is really a must, and cheap enough now.

Of all the really small distros Feather is most likely to be the most compatable with a "standard" linux system.. puppy is strange, and dsl, let's be honest, the apps are too old.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea..for some reason when i tried to install mandriva 07 it would install, but never get to a desktop.
really? i never knew that about suse..
and i'll definitely have to agree w/the DSL statement, lol
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, This has a habit of just wandering off...

For what you're trying to do, you're going to have to hit the command line at some point no matter which distro you decide to use. Being a RHCE, I guess I'm somewhat biased toward the RedHat family (FC, RHEL and CentOS), but all of these distributions are still Linux at the core, which means that they're all completely configurable to match your needs, with the exception of Mandriva - if you're going to use that you may as well install Windows (just my opinion? Probably not). Believe it or not, I've never actually used SuSe for any length of time and I'm not really inclined to. Not saying it's a bad OS, just that I don't use it unless a client already has it installed on a system.

If I weren't going to use Fedora for this, I would use either Gentoo or Debian. I like Gentoo more than Debian, but that's just a personal preference too. However, both of these will take longer to get set up than Fedora. No matter which distro you decide on, you'll probably want to recompile your kernel to pull out support for all those things you don't need (though I didn't have to do this with that particular system).

To run Gnome under Fluxbox, once it's installed, open a terminal (from within Gnome) and do:
Code: [ Select ]
gnome-session-remove metacity
fluxbox &
gnome-session-properties
  1. gnome-session-remove metacity
  2. fluxbox &
  3. gnome-session-properties

The last command opens the Gnome session dialog, click the Startup Programs tab and add fluxbox, make sure it's checked. In the same dialog, make sure "Save Session on Exit" is checked, then close that and either log out and back in, or, back in the terminal, do:
Code: [ Select ]
gnome-session-save

This is all from here: http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Faqs (ain't it nice how everything has a wiki these days?).

On the subject of RAM to CPU - I've found that a P3 runs best with between 1 and 1.5 GB of RAM. Usually, going over this results in the processor getting lost in the RAM and the system starts to act just as though it didn't have enough RAM (not saying this is always the case, just seems that way to me).

I've never tried Feather Linux, just seems like yet another distro to me, but I agree with everything else Janrocks said.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
a P3 runs best with between 1 and 1.5 GB of RAM. Usually, going over this results in the processor getting lost in the RAM

allways wandered if that was posible :mrgreen:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts