Open a CMD on a remote Windows box from Linux?

• humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a remote cmd on a windows machine(s) from linux?

The only thing I can think of is installing ssh on the remote windows box. In which case can anyone recommend the best ssh implementation on Windows? I've used the openssh port before but it seems a little imperfect and dated and does not integrate that seemlessly.

Ideally I'd like to find some native way of getting the remote cmd on windows, similar to what psexec allows you to do from another windows box. I'd rather install one thing on my linux workstation than something on every single windows box I administer.

Are there any native interoperability tools from Linux to Windows in this type of thing?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

putty is a telnet/ssh client for windows machines
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

you don't say...

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm talking about getting a CMD session on a remote Windows box from a Linux workstation.

Putty is good the other way round, when using Windows to get a remote terminal on a Linux box.

So, do I install SSH on all my windows boxes, or is there a better way of natively getting a remote CMD on Windows from Linux, the way psexec can Windows to Windows.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woops, I'm backwards, maybe this kpym telnet/ssh server will be better. From the description on the main page it sounds like what you want.
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, that looks more interesting, I remember seeing a good ssh server implementation on windows last year and have had some trouble finding this again which is a shame... but this doesn't look too bad either. I like the fact that it uses integrated auth compared to the openssh which has to import user accounts/passwords.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you may be looking for is called VNC (there are many flavors, that run under *nix and connect to X, or Win32).

Here's one of them;
http://www.tightvnc.com/

Cheers.

Other than that, you can open a netcat (not advisable) to the outside, or install an sshd server (using Cygwin as the unix source repository) and OpenSSH.
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks but I don't want a graphical session. I want a command line only session.

VNC is ok, but slow and doesn't allow you to have multiple sessions. Also, it interferes if something is on a workstation since then it's a single shared session etc...

I found what I wanted, linux's answer to psexec - winexe.
  • geekdw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been having so much fun in my office with VNC :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts