partition sizes

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So to avoid losing all my data im looking at creating some partitions. Now I plan on running a web development server, a samba file sharing server, and a SVN respasitory.

From what I could find apache stores all its configurations on /etc like most other things. Mysql seems to store data on both /usr and /var Im not exactly sure of everything that it stored on them. Samba can be directed to share files from any file system and stores configurations on /etc

Now all of what I just said may make no difference in your answer but Im basicly wondering how I should parition my hard drive.

I'm really just looking for a setup so I dont lose my data if I upgrade OS's.

So I'm sure I will be making a parition for /home but I'm not sure about mysql. Then again mysql data isnt all that large and could easly be backed up.

Since most of my files are going to be on /home I believe that it would be the largest parition. So how big should I make my root filesystem?

I have a large HDD so Im not horriably worried about how big it is, but make /home as large as possable should be nice.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

your root partition would probably only need to be 10 or 15 GB.. you can direct mysql to save data to whatever path you want, its an option in the my.ini file. so you could direct it to save data in your home partition as well as have a shared samba folder in your home partition. i'm not sure about the svn repo, however.. i've never played with that.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before you plan too much, you might want to test & see how many partitions you can place on your drive.

I don't know if it's a filesystem, OS, or hardware limitation, but I was unplesantly supprized when trying to create a 5th partition on one of my drives returned me a no-way-jose type of message. Pretty much limiting me to 4 partitions.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

4 *primary, partitions. you can create more logical partitions than you're going to use :]
which normally, after creating 3 primary partitions you start with the logical partitions but you could just start off with logical partitions.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooh yeah, I forgot all about those.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah oops >.<
gparted ftw ^_^
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want to avoid potentially losing all your data ... yet you are putting everything on one hard drive -- which happens to be the most critical MTBF item in the bunch. :)

Interesting. :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it fails it fails, basicly I dont want to have to transfer all my files off the server when I install a new OS, Ubuntu 8 is coming out soon.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ubuntu 8.04 to be exact >.<
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't Ubuntu have some "yum upgrade" equivalent? Anyway...

Since Ubuntu sucks and likes to deviate from standards all the time, and since I hate it so much as an OS and am almost positive I can actually feel it sapping my intelligence every time I use it, I'm not really sure where your service files are. If it follows the "normal" placement of things, you'll have:
/var/lib/mysql = mysql databases
/var/www = web site files

However, if you take a look at the FHS, you'll see that these should be somewhere under /srv/, so, to both fix this and give you a sane partition scheme, you'll want both /home and /srv to be on separate partitions. If this is a pure server, with no home directories, you can leave /home on the root partition.

Once you've installed your OS, you then move your service files to /srv/ where they belong. In the case of httpd, all you need to do is set your DocumentRoots accordingly. In the case of MySQL, I've found linking it to it's default location removes quite a few headaches - including the need to change your mysql configs. Something like:
Code: [ Select ]
# mv /var/lib/mysql /srv/
# ln -s /srv/mysql /var/lib/mysql
  1. # mv /var/lib/mysql /srv/
  2. # ln -s /srv/mysql /var/lib/mysql

Once finished, you'll be able to completely wipe out all but your /home and /srv partitions with impunity, install a *real* operating system (like Fedora, Gentoo or a BSD) and just remount those partitions with everything staying in tact.

Make backups, as Daemonguy points out, keeping everything on one hard drive is bordering on insane. If you set things up this way, all you'll need to really worry about (other than your configs) is replicating your /srv/ directory, which can be done quite easily through RAID or DRBD.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade may be what you're thinking of..
or just sudo apt-get upgrade . as long as the repo's for the newer distro are in apt's repo list. i think theres actually also a menu option for upgrading to a newer version of the distro.
this...you make me laugh. lol
p.s. gentoo sux & hates my system >.<
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, Gentoo's not for everyone - that's why they make Fedora ;)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I love fedora, I can't wait till march or april or may, whenever that is fedora 9 comes out.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm using fedor ato figure out why gentoo's not working, lol >.<
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never have been able to get gentoo or slackware to work, I guess I'm just not patient enough. I spose if I just sat down and worked through it slowly I could do it, but I just like stuff that works the first time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts