Please Help

• Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone

I am new user of Linux, I install Kupuntu Operating System on my PC and its very easy to use but the problem I can not install any application software on this OS , it is seem hard for me .

i know that linux does not use EXE file but I need to install Yahoo messenger for example but I cant I tried to download Yahoo messenger special for linux but I can not install it
please anybody can help me
thank u
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's like FreeBSD, you have to configure X windows first. That has nothing to do with Microsoft. It is the graphic user interface for Unix. After you have done that, yahoo messenger should install. What happens if you type startx at the command prompt and press enter?
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank U Graduate but I cant understand u well
or maybe u dont understand my question
c , I need to install yahoo messenger on linux OS just i need to know the steps to install it
thank u again for ur reply and waiting for answer
thanx
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea don, kubuntu is nothing like freebsd, except for when you enter
Code: [ Select ]
rm -rf /

;)

but anyways, usually the programs from a company that you're used to in windows, make a really sh!77y linux product, so theres an alternative which is better. for yahoo/aim/msn in linux, the popular choice is to use gaim. it can handle all of the above protocols. go to what would be the "start" button, and then select Run Command and enter: gaim
if a program comes up, select yahoo messenger as the protocol that you want to login as, enter your username and password, save your info and sign on. if nothing comes up, you'll need to install it. for that, there's two ways to do it. graphically or by command line. i prefer the command line, and since i'm not in kubuntu nor do i have it installed :] i'm going to give you the CLI way of doing it. open a terminal or konsole as its referred to in kubuntu and enter:
sudo apt-get install gaim

its going to ask you to enter your users password, so do this and then it'll start going through some preinstallation setup. it should find the software and ask if you're sure you want to install it. enter y for yes and it'll install. once its done, go back to the main menu and do a Run Command and this time when you enter gaim, it will run :]
if you need me to clarify anything or have any other questions, feel free to ask
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL@rm -rf

I guess I won't be answering too many Linux questions since it has changed so much.
I tried RedHat but I went back to FreeBSD when I couldn't open the new RPM because I didn't have the new RPM.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yea...them being nothing like each other was a bit of an exaggeration. i would suggest you download the kubuntu livecd and check it out for yourself..you may find that its not a bad distro :]
theres no need to install anything and you get a graphical desktop distro that you can take anywhere you want. so even if redhat isn't for you, kubuntu is debian based so it may prove to be better 4 u
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
If it's like FreeBSD, you have to configure X windows first. That has nothing to do with Microsoft. It is the graphic user interface for Unix. After you have done that, yahoo messenger should install. What happens if you type startx at the command prompt and press enter?

I told u before its my first time with linux so how I know if it FreeBSD or not What do u mean by FreeBSD and How I can Configure X windows?
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx AnarchY SI

do u know I need to thank u realy
but my problem not with Yahoo just
I mean is the way of installing yahoo work with all other software like realplayer or msn or photoshop or or ...etc

I mean all software istallation with the same way u show me before or every software has his own installation way!

I hope u understand me :) :lol:
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI

I have kupuntu cd and redhat cds also what do u think is better for me to use
and dont forget I am new user so please advice me :)

and another question what do u think is better for me because I like to work with photoshop and PHP and mysql and alot of software the work on windows OS so please advice me

and please my last question do u know any websir I can download from it yahoo messenger for kupuntu and msn and photodhop and other software but for free looooool

thanx body for every thing
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, 1. its kubuntu. say it with me :] kubuntu. not kupuntu. kuBuntu. kubuntu. ok, now that we have that out of our system :]
2. your question asks about a way to download photoshop for free which would mean pirating it and ozzu does not support pirating software so thats as far as that question is going.
3. i'm guessing you want the windows version of yahoo and msn, which probably aren't going to work in linux. i haven't tried to install them, but to do so you would have to install wine and then install the windows version of said programs with said software. to install wine, you'd open up a konsole, and enter: sudo apt-get install wine
but whats wrong with using gaim instead of yahoo? you could also use it for msn and have your yahoo and msn buddy list all in the same window. hence the beauty of gaim. although if you wanted a separate messenger for msn you could always try out amsn. it should be in some repository, so to install that you'd execute in a konsole: sudo apt-get install amsn
but if you HAVE to try the windows version of the programs, after installing WINE download yahoo and msn from: http://messenger.yahoo.com/download.php ... GwYpxwMMIF and http://g.msn.com/8reen_us/EN/INSTALL_MS ... GER_DL.EXE
once they're downloaded open up a konsole, cd to the directory that they're stored in (so if they're stored on the desktop you'd probably have to do cd Desktop), and then enter wine INSTALL_MSN_MESSNEGER_DL.EXE and then wine Name_of_Yahoo_Installer.exe (OBVIOUSLY you wouldn't actually do Name_of_Yahoo_Installer.exe. that is purely an example, you'd do the actual name of the installer).if those install fine without problems, try running them. a shortcut to do so should be created on the desktop.
now if you have a version of photoshop that you've paid for, you could try install it with WINE or crossover office (which you can download a trial of or purchase from http://www.codeweavers.com)
PHP and MySQL are easy. just open a konsole and enter: sudo apt-get install php mysql php-mysql
so i think that about covers it, but if you have anymore questions...ask away :] lol
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI u r great man
loooooooool first i want to thank u so so so much about every thing
but be wait i am sorry again i told u i am new in that
so i need to us gaim i like it but what do u mean by ( konsole )
please give me any example with details or with picture to use or install gaim in linux using ( konsole) i am sorry but i told u i am new in linux

and u did not tell me which better kubnutu ( is that right kubnutu not kupnutu loooool ) or redhat , which is best for me

thanx waitting 4 u
  • alias8700
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • alias8700

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should have synaptic installed. Synaptic is a graphical front end to apt-get

On ubuntu (the gnome version) you can access synaptic from the menus on your desktop. It would surprise a lot if that wasn't the case with kubuntu.

if it's not installed you could do this
sudo apt-get install synaptic
  • alias8700
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • alias8700

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dr R Nassar wrote:
and u did not tell me which better kubnutu ( is that right kubnutu not kupnutu loooool ) or redhat , which is best for me

I prefer ubuntu/kubuntu since it's based on debian. On the question of what is best it's really up to what you like and don't like ;)
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

alias8700 thanx alot nice advice i will try today
if u have any idea to me to learn linux more please tell me
i begin to love this OS

thanx
  • alias8700
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • alias8700

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you fall for ubuntu you should check out http://www.ubuntu.com/community/forums and maybe read some here http://www.kubuntu.org/documentation.php
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx alias8700

and AnarchY SI I am waiting 4 ur answer
thanx
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

PERSONALLY i like Fedora Core better (which is supported by redhat). with the ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu/... lol distro, before i can get to the desktop, i have to change the boot parameters so that i can get to the command line so that i can manually configure the xorg.conf file for my video card (i have an ATi video card) and i think that for a distro thats supposed to be more on the "easy" side, thats ridiculous. and i have friends with ATi video cards who have had similar problems to mine so i know its not just mine specifically.
last time i used it, kubuntu didn't have synaptic, but a program very similar called adept. in the menu it would probably be labeled system updater or something to that effect. the windows equivalent of the konsole in windows would be the command prompt. you can call it that if you like, konsole is just kde's name for it. it's also referred to as a terminal. if you want to see what it looks like, http://images.google.com/images?q=konsole
uhm...i think that answers everything.
about fedora/kubuntu, i would suggest trying them both out and seeing which you like better. you could try them both at the same time, or install one and use it for a couple weeks, see if you can get everything to work how you want it, and then try the other and do the same. but definitely give them some time..looking a distro over quickly wont allow you to try out all of the features and allow you to find its advantages. :]
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI
i get u and understand every thing
i will do as u advice me
by the way i am try now to do every thing u told me
thank u
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

every thing is ok but i couldnot find gaim in my OS from where i can download it
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dr R:
I'm going to let the others answer your questions since I'm out of the Linux loop.

Anarchy:
I burned an Ubuntu Live CD sometime ago but I just haven't used it yet. I'm sure I'll try it on some rainy day.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you enter that command as i said? sudo apt-get install gaim
?
you may need to enable some other repositories. in that case, go back into konsole and enter sudo kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list and a file should open. in the file should be a bunch of url's and have some with a # in front of the url. if you want to post the sources.list file on here (dont forget to wrap it in quote tags), i could tell you which ones you want to delete the #'s for but deleting those and resaving the file will enable more repositories so you have access to more software. once you do this, you can enter the command above to install gaim
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes yes
i did it
u r great
i like gaim more than yahoo or other software
thanx man
but c i have zebronics usb webcam how i can install it on linux do u have any idea
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, it worked. sweet.
i have no idea about that..i'd have to do some reasearch. did you search google? try something like:
"how to" install "web cam" linux

/* edit
* hmm..this looks useful:
* http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm
* start reading about 1/3 the way down the page
* titled "Hardware and OS Setup"
*/
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am doing that now just tell me how u answer me by this fast way
u r realy king of linux thax bro

i will do every thing just to be like u in linux by the way i am Dr in computer engineering if u need any help with networking i will help i mean it
thanx u man
thank u so much
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah, glad i can help :D
i'll keep that in mind.. thanks.
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey man
i tried but i didnt find the driver or the way to install it
please try to help if u can

ok tell me i plug in the usb cam but linux did not show to me any new device like windows so how i can install any hardware
do u have any idea
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
:)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont have time to read over the sites but these ones have promising titles..
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/index.shtml
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/hardware.shtml
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=242693
http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/linux/webcam.html

if those dont help i'll see what else i can find but i dont have a webcam and i've never tried getting one to work so idk how much help i'll be here =\

mm...when you plug it in, try some commands like lspci , dmesg | less , etc. to see if its detected
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx man
as amatter of fact i tried so much but i cant find the way to install driver of my webcam
by the way i have movie its WMV but linux did not support this kind of file
what should i do
?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this tutorial is for the version prior to the one (i'm guessing) you're using (are you using version 6.10? a.k.a. edgy?), but it should be the same steps for everything so give it a try.. http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/21/ho ... per-drake/

sorry about the webcam. as a last resort, you could try installing the windows software for your webcam through wine. which you'd need to install wine before you can do that, but that would be all of: sudo apt-get install wine
then go to the webcam manufacturers website and download the software for your webcam. then do wine install-name.exe
  • Dr R Nassar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx again bro
ok i have download RealPlayer10GOLD,bin
how i can install it
show me please
thanx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot