courier-imap-4.1.1

configure: WARNING: === Do not compile Courier-IMAP as root. Compile
configure: WARNING: === Courier-IMAP as a non-root user then su to
configure: WARNING: === root before running make install. You must now
configure: WARNING: === remove this entire directory and then extract the
configure: WARNING: === source code from the tarball as a non-root user
configure: WARNING: === and rerun the configure script. If you have read
configure: WARNING: === the INSTALL file you should have known this. So
configure: WARNING: === you better read INSTALL again.

however, when i try to complie Courier-imap-4.1.1 using ./configure command in the shell i was given this message:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

What does it mean .. and how to solve this proble! if ever do u have an idea on how to install Courier-imap-4.1.1 this which include POP3/IMAP/SMTP .. tnx. for listening ... have a nice day>>>
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

It appears that there is something wrong with gcc. If you just execute "gcc" at the command line, does it give you an error? If not, try creating a file called "test.c" with the following contents:
Code: [ Select ]
int main(void)
{
    return 0;
}
  1. int main(void)
  2. {
  3.     return 0;
  4. }

Then run "gcc test.c". Any errors?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

He has gcc or it would not have been found in the previous step.
I have always heard compiling source on Mandriva boxes are a challenge.

Chances are you do not have some support packages installed (like c++, etc. )

Basically you need to find the rpm for the following:
* gcc
* glibc-devel
* gcc-c++
* libstdc++-devel
* make
* kernel-headers
Try this site; it should help you through the process.
http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/KB/BasicsBsource

Cheers.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

He has gcc, but it is not working correctly. That's why I recommended running it to see what errors it generates. Blindly downloading and installing RPMs without knowing what the problem is will be frustrating at best.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

PsyckBoy wrote:
He has gcc, but it is not working correctly. That's why I recommended running it to see what errors it generates. Blindly downloading and installing RPMs without knowing what the problem is will be frustrating at best.

Sigh.

It's hardly 'blind'; Mandriva is known for those issues, as I alluded to. If you had followed the link I provided you would have read of such.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get a real operating system - Mandriva hardly qualifies.

NEVER install packages from source on an RPM-based machine - especially where email components are concerned. If you feel that the optimization gained from building from source is worth it, you need to create an RPM package and install that so your system knows it has these packages installed. If you don't do this, the next time you do "yum -y update" your whole mail system will go right out the window. If you feel the need to go installing key system components from source perhaps a distribution like Gentoo, Slackware or Arch-Linux would be more your speed.

Everything Daemonguy said is 100% right, this error appears when the proper development packages aren't installed.

On a slightly different note: Courier doesn't handle SMTP.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Get a real operating system - Mandriva hardly qualifies.

Wow. Yeah. I wasn't sure if I should come right out and say that, but yeah. :) Nail on the head with that one.

this213 wrote:

NEVER install packages from source on an RPM-based machine - especially where email components are concerned. If you feel that the optimization gained from building from source is worth it, you need to create an RPM package and install that so your system knows it has these packages installed. If you don't do this, the next time you do "yum -y update" your whole mail system will go right out the window. If you feel the need to go installing key system components from source perhaps a distribution like Gentoo, Slackware or Arch-Linux would be more your speed.

Being a FBSD guy, I tend to install from source on servers ... that's more because of the ports collection than anything else though. It maintains a nice record in the db; makes updating easy enough.
At work however we typically build our own rpm's for SLES and RHEL; on Linux (sans Gentoo) it does seem easier to manage, especially in the enterprise.

this213 wrote:

Everything Daemonguy said is 100% right, this error appears when the proper development packages aren't installed.

Thanks This123, for a second I was doubting myself. ;) Well, ok maybe not but it's always nice to get validation from a peer. :)

this213 wrote:

On a slightly different note: Courier doesn't handle SMTP.

I assumed they were using Courier for the IMAP component, though re-reading the last line of the original message you may be right, they could be considering using courier as all three? Certainly not, can't be.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts