Preference Distro(s)

• TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

What distro do you prefer and do you have preference for specific tasks (i.e. different distros for varying computer usage like gaming, server, etc)?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• eWebtricity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tampa, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

CentOS for production

Gentoo for something interesting to do

Fedora for the latest and greatest features

Ubuntu looks interesting but they better get it together with Debian becuase they are floundering

Debian is solid but needs to speed up their releases to keep up with the times

FreeBSD has never interested me much

Solaris is too boring

Open Solaris sort of interests me

OS X for intel x86, now there's something interesting to compete in the marketplace
  • Wiper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Wiper
  • Loc: Norway, Oslo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a
pentium II (dont know the speed),
128mb ram
3-4 gb harddisk
computer.

which Distro would you Recommend for this? And, do you know any text-based distros that would be fun to try?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'd prly say go for like, FreeBSD or Slackware or possibly Debian.
you'd wanna check the minimum system requirements, but you wouldn't have a problem with FreeBSD for sure. or slackware..
Quote:
Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to run (though having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems as far back as the 486. Below is a list of minimum system requirements needed to install and run Slackware.

* 486 processor
* 16MB RAM (32MB suggested)
* 100-500 megabytes of hard disk space for a minimal and around 3.5GB for full install
* 3.5" floppy drive

debian
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

i run kanotix, its a nice balance of a desktop OS with good device support, and a server.
  • Wiper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Wiper

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
i'd prly say go for like, FreeBSD or Slackware or possibly Debian.
you'd wanna check the minimum system requirements, but you wouldn't have a problem with FreeBSD for sure. or slackware..
Quote:
Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to run (though having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems as far back as the 486. Below is a list of minimum system requirements needed to install and run Slackware.

* 486 processor
* 16MB RAM (32MB suggested)
* 100-500 megabytes of hard disk space for a minimal and around 3.5GB for full install
* 3.5" floppy drive

debian

yeh, but these are minimum requirements, you sure it wont lag?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what are you trying to do with it? it'll be better than what you'll get out of Windows.. and i'd say with slackware there definitely won't be lag, those requirements are pretty down there.. lol
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I use RedHat/Fedora. I've been using RedHat ever since '96, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. It may not be "the best" out there, but it's the best for my needs.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use fedora too. I've tried a bunch of distro's and didn't ever like them as well as Fedora. SuSE 9.3 came close but it just wasn't quite there.. and then v10 didn't want to install so i gave up on it :]
  • Wiper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Wiper

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
what are you trying to do with it? it'll be better than what you'll get out of Windows.. and i'd say with slackware there definitely won't be lag, those requirements are pretty down there.. lol

heh, I don't know what I was thinking
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Myself.. I am an Ubuntu fan. I have this running on my laptop and it works flawlessly. I've gotten Wine to run on it and run Diablo IIx, I've gotten VMware workstation to run on it and installed photoshop on my virtual Windows XP. It is, in my opinion, the best distribution.

Mandrake/Mandriva/whatever they are calling it now would be my second choice, I used that for a while before switching to Ubuntu.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me with production I use OpenBSD just because of their great code auditing effort.

For a desktop I sort of migrate a bit, I started off with SuSe and I really liked it for its ease of use but I dislike KDE and Gnome just cause they're big. I installed Fluxbox etc on it but I still didn't like it as much.

Switched to Gentoo, I liked it a lot for its configurability, etc but I got tired of the whole compiling thing, and I didn't really need that optimization.

Now using Ubuntu, its not as configurable out of the box as Gentoo, but its workable since its based on Debian and it with apt its pretty easy to install stuff. I'm still playing around with it but I'll probably stick with it for a bit.

Next I'll probably switch to Slackware or FreeBSD just to play around with, I keep all my files on a seperate partition so I change OS's every year or so usually.

If your looking for a production OS you should definitely go for one that your comfortable with. Cause it really sucks to admin a system that you don't know, not to mention your bound to screw something up accidentally.

For Desktops usually you just find one you like, or if you like learning you can just switch OS's every year or so, giviing yourself just enough time to learn a system fairly well and then trying another.

I won't tell you which one is the best distro, I think they're all pretty good, and its just a matter of you finding the one that suits your needs/desires.

Good luck with that.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a Fedora Fan
I started with Red Hat 7, and I've like Fedora since.
It's has a really fast release cycle too (about ever 6 months)

Most of the newer linux distros are resource hogs, and you'll have a hard time running any of them on your Pentium II. (You wouldn't be able to run a Windows NT based system on it either)

You might have to find an older distro...

BTW, if you just want to TRY linux, you can always use Knoppix. I boots up from a CD, so you don't actually have to install it. (You can though...)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
BTW, if you just want to TRY linux, you can always use Knoppix. I boots up from a CD, so you don't actually have to install it. (You can though...)

you could also use ubuntu for this purpose.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think quite a few distros are producing "Live" versions too... I've used Knoppix a couple of times in the past, and have a couple of semi-recent Ubuntu Live CDs laying around here somewhere, but don't need to use it much any more since sticking Fedora on the laptop.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
I think quite a few distros are producing "Live" versions too... I've used Knoppix a couple of times in the past, and have a couple of semi-recent Ubuntu Live CDs laying around here somewhere, but don't need to use it much any more since sticking Fedora on the laptop.

ditto.
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im using now Linux Xandros............
Although the debian package (XN / apt) stuff works great for me....some of the updates/softwares/modules is a bit hard to find....plus the boot is a bit slow....but overall i like it....
Im planning to use FreeBSD or may Ubunto soon.......just to play around....

Just a thought........how can I use RPM package in Debian distos? Is that possible?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Im planning to use FreeBSD or may Ubunto soon.......just to play around....

just a little word of warning - xandros is IMHO the most n00b friendly linux distro out there. lol so i dont think moving from xandros to FreeBSD would be as simple as it sounds.
why would you want to use an RPM on a debian based system? OBVIOUSLY you've never been to rpm hell :] lol trust me, its not somewhere you'd want to go...(hence the name)
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i did heard about that one.....I just got this one from a friend and tried it used it for coding coz the ease and simplicity is similar to windows and use it for most of my programming now........I do have a redhat,mandrake and suse (coz these are the only available distros that i manage to get here ) now which sometimes i used when coding crossflatform scripts/programs not so often...

FreeBSD?Is it that hard? How hard can it be...? I want to know more about UNIX/Linux in little time as possible coz my job requires me so and plus.... I've been dying to learn this anyway which I think now is the right time....no matter what...i think i have to make it through......Im not a pro at this stuff yet like u guyz....im just beginning to scratch the surface.....

RPM->debian?/?
I just read from debian forums that they are actually planning to make this possible...In this way...I can only get one package that could run both distributions....From this two....Which distro is far more better anyway(by there availability and accessibility)? RPM or DEBIAN?

Can anyone give me some links on where I can learn more about UNIX/Linux?
Thankx for the info's
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

NuLLZero wrote:

Can anyone give me some links on where I can learn more about UNIX/Linux?
Thankx for the info's

Uh, http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/links-for-nix-newbies-t52975.html

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts