problem with the codec

• gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller
  • Loc: above the chair

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 . can someone help me to play this file by using this player?
I think there should be no problem with the codec, because i can run
mp3 or video using mplayer..
2 . by now, it seems like i only can run the music using terminal, mplayer
without gui, how to show the gui mode? i try gmplayer <videofile> but, it
doesnt recognize it..

thanks..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

why do you want to use totem to play an mp3? i would suggest xmms, amarok, or rhythmbox for this. you may already have one of these installed. if it was, you could get to it by going to Applications > Sound and Video (i think, might be like Multimedia) > and then here you'd click the name of the application.
mplayer would also be in this menu, and that would be the way to get to the mplayer-gui. that is, as long as you have the mplayer-gui installed :]
what distro are you using?
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller
  • Loc: above the chair

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for not giving you about distro information, i m using fedora core 5,

actually, i m not using totem, i just show that, if i use any player by going Applicatins > Sound n Multimedia, it shows the same output like totem..

I REALLY want to use xine or amarok or xmms, but i have failed to do so because the installation is complex(for me).. Can you help me to guide me into this installation like what source should i download, step by step how to install it, and anything else about this installation?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, this shouldn't be too difficult :]
open up the terminal, enter su and your root password (it wont show that you're typing, but you are)
enter yum -y install yumex
after that's installed, go to Applications > Run Command and enter yumex
it will ask you to enter your root password, and then it will open yumex.
once that's loaded up, on the left side of the windows click the button that says "Install"
in the filter line, enter mp3 or xmms or amarok , whatever you'd like to search for. click the checkbox next to the packages you'd like to install and click "Add to Queue"
once you're all done selecting packages (i wouldn't do a WHOLE lot all at once..) click on the Queue button and then there will be another button over on the right side of the window if i recall correctly, that'll say Process Queue. click that and away it goes :]

note, one thing you should make sure of if you install xmms, that you install xmms-mp3 , and you're also going to want w32codecs
  • Infrastruct
  • Infrastruct

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing you could do is to get VLC. VLC won't require any codecs at all and will play all manner of video formats as well. It's also a nice small window.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Infrastruct wrote:
One thing you could do is to get VLC. VLC won't require any codecs at all and will play all manner of video formats as well. It's also a nice small window.

*shrug*
i've never liked using VLC in either Windows or Linux. xmms/winamp do the trick for music IMO, and in Linux i use mplayer for video multimedia. but, to each his own :]
  • Infrastruct
  • Infrastruct

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing with VLC that is SUPER NICE is that it basically contains its own codecs. You can download VLC onto a vanilla windows box and it'll play just about anything.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts