Problems w/ Redhat 8 installation!!!

• claire218
  • Born
  • Born
  • claire218

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this. I'm trying to install Redhat 8 on my Toshiba laptop. I was able to select to boot from my CD Rom, but it only went as far as " Uncompressing linux...ok. booting kernel.." then it hangs. What can I do?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mindcry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mindcry

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are you using redhat 8? That is probably the worst version redhat ever made. Since redhat only has its "enterprise" versions now you may want to check out fedora which is a spinoff of redhat and maintained by redhat. Its basically the testing grounds for redhat. You can find more info here http://fedora.redhat.com/. I personally prefer debian you can check that out here http://debian.org, make sure to get the sarge installer.[/code]
  • claire218
  • Born
  • Born
  • claire218

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using Redhat 8 for class. It came with my text.
  • d3fac3
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is difinately something wrong with your either ram or graphic card configuration. Trust Me. You may seems there is not even related to booting up linux by cdrom but YES! there is a connection. Try to check your graphic card driver or used a rubber to rub the connection part for ur ram. It gonna works.
If it still doesn't, then i guess u should get Linux Fedora =)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may not have the very answer you require, however I can tell you it has NOTHING to do with your graphic card. Also, if your machine goes through POST, it's not your memory either.

You don't mention which Toshiba you have, but regardless one of the first things you should check is for BIOS updates. (The Toshiba Website has a decent enough interface to help guide you through the process;
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... dgngdgmm.0

The kernel that is booting is attempting to contact the onboard hardware for communication and failing -- not at the hardware level, but at the software level. In other words, the hardware is willing to communicate however the kernel does not know how to talk to it. This could be a BIOS error, or something that was patched in a subsequent build of RH8. I have seen some chatter as to the install procedures for Toshibas requiring the use of a boot floppy and alternate kernel boots.

Just as a point of reference, you *should* be able to use any version of RH for your purpose. There have been several high and low level changes made for the Fedora branch which may or may not have adverse affects on your particular purpose, though RH9 should suit your purpose nicely without being concerned about kernel level changes.

Even so, I would still update the BIOS. You may just want to give Fedora a shot as well. Being a newly developed (and more importantly library enhanced) OS, it would have support for hardware that perhaps an older version does not in a standard build. If it doesn't work for your application, you can always drop back to RH9.

Cheers, and good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts