Problems with Linux Installation <from a newbie>

• Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having problems installing Linux in my system. I tried Redhat 7.0, 7.2, 8.0 and Mandrake 10 packages. Redhat would tend to send me kill signals and prompting me to restart my PC when loading the installation while Mandrake just freezes when I start the installation. All of the media I'm using worked on the other PC's. Please help me... I'm desperate <i wanna leave Windows and do my Programming in Linux>. Here's my system specs. (I'm trying to setup a dual boot installation)

Duron 1.1 ghz
ECS K7VMM motherboard (VIA KM266)
HIS Radeon 9600 128mb non-pro
20gb 5400 rpm Seagate HDD
1 Adaptec SCSI card with two SCSI HDD's connected
Built-in AC'97 sound card.

Someone told me to install Linux first before Windows. Is this true? Thanks in advance! ^_^
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

no most versions of windows have to be installed on the primary partition.. who ever told u that wasnt all that smart but he could be right in some ways... the newer versions of windows 2k and xp can be installed on a seccondary partition but it is still wise to install WINDOWS first....
Linux works beter on seccond partition any way... Your problem could be that ur partitioning ur spaces wrong... Make shure ur swap space and all are what they should be or have the linux do it it selfe... U may be telling it to install on to small of a hdd space i suggest 10gigs my self atleast but you dont have to thats just my suggestion.... If u tell it to install to small and tell it to partition for u itll make ur partitions smaller then they should be....

Other wise you may have a conflict with your hardware!
  • Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should I create a partition first before installing linux? Because I currently have a whole NTFS Harddisk. I plan to use the partition manager in the Linux Setup once I succesfully enter the Linux Setup but I can't even enter the setup succesfully. =( This is getting on my nerves. I started to save up for the new motherboard so that I can install Linux!
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the cases where I install Linux I never have to create the partitions before installing I just let the Linux setup auto allocate the space for me. BTW: I am having a lot of problems with Linux Mandrake 10 when entering the setup it sends the kill signals too. I have herd not read for my self that they are going to release another version. Remember just herd that I tend not to believe things till I read or experience things for myself. So hopefully Mandrake 10 will be re released.
  • Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies! I'll wait for the next revisions of Linux. I've been suspecting that my mobo has alinux bug. I hope the Linux Hackers could find a way. I'm saving up for Asus A7V8X-X mobo. One that I have installed Linux Redhat long ago.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you submitted a bug report then?
  • Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope not yet. Where's the site where I can submit bug reports?
  • redhawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Kei,
Somewhere on Mandrake main site; http://www.mandrake.com, there should be a link to submit bugs, I would check though, just in case someone has already submitted this bug. Anyway, I am currently using Slack 9 and MDK 9.1. MDK 9.1 is excellent and I have had no probs with it, even though its not the most current, niether is win98, and yet win98 is still pretty widely used (especially compared to the fallacy named ME). I dedicate a whole HD to it though (10 gig, more than large enough). I like slack as well, (obviously) but I wouldnt recommend it for a newb, its a pain in the ass to install cause theres no setup GUI. Oh, and I customized my settings to allow a gig of swap space, this is a little overkill for most of what I am doing, but its always good to have extra space if you can afford it.

Another note about Dual booting - it tends to wear down your hard drive faster (supposedly), so its preferable to have two HDs running seperate OS's. I have just read that your HD is running at 5400 RPM, this is a little slower than normal, but the 20gigs is more than enough if youre like me, (a packrat whos more cautious when using space than money.) I have heard mixed things about Seagate, but thats what I run my MDK install off of (for about 4 years now on the same HD) and it works great for me.

An experimental thing - I have a friend who Dual boots but has the operating system files on one HD and all application software and user files on a secondary HD, he thinks it increases speed, I am not sure about this, but it isnt a bad idea if you have the cash. Good Luck and happy computing!
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do need to install Windows first, but that is because the windows boot loader does not play nice with linux. Second, if you are going to have two operating systems on the same hard drive and at the current moment you only have one ntfs partiion throughout that drive then yes you do need create and resize prior. I'd suggest Partition Magic to resize that ntfs partition. After you have adequate free space, you can enter the setup phase. I would always suggest creating unpartitioned space and then creating the partitions once in the linux setup enviornment. Third, if you are having issues with the linux distributions, then I would suggest trying out a better one. How bout Suse 9.1 or 9.0. Just as easy to use as mandrake, but less buggy. This is my partion setup so you can have a visual example:

hda // first hard drive with three operating systems
hda1 // windows xp
hda2 // suse 9.1
hda5 // slackware 9.1
hda6 // nothing on this partition yet
hda7 // linux swap
hda4 // encrypted file system for storing *secret* stuff
  • Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice! i'll try creating a partition first before running setup! Good thing that I have a copy of Partition magic handy. I'm currently looking for Suse Linux just like you've said! Thanks! ^_^

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts