Problems with my soundcard!

• Zlayphir
  • Born
  • Born
  • Zlayphir

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello! :D

I installed (Open)SuSE 10.0 a few hours ago, and everything works fine exept that I can't play/watch music or movies.

Actually, I can't get any sound at all. :?
Everything looked fine in the installation-program, though...
I've been sitting here for an hour now, but I can't find any drivers for my SoundBlaster Audigy.

And when I'm trying to watch any DVD-movie, I always get a errormessage that tells me the program can't play it (the program I've tried with is Totem and RealPlayer).

I really, really hope someone can help me, I has only used Fedora3 before, and that was about a year ago in school.

//New-SuSE in Sweden. ;)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zlayphir
  • Born
  • Born
  • Zlayphir

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done some research now, and my soundcard don't seems to work at all. :shock:

It worked perfectly this morning, and then I reinstalled Windows XP and installed SuSE, and the soundcard stoped working.

Is it Windows and SuSE that "fight" about it, or what?

Anyone have any idea what to do?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

there should be no problem sharing the card between windows and linux. the drivers you should get for linux for your audigy card should be alsa i believe. google it.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to have xine installed to watch DVDs, and you have to have the gstreamer-plugins package installed at least for mp3's

as root:
Code: [ Select ]
lsmod | grep snd

This should show you what (if any) sound modules you have installed. I think SB Audigy uses the emu10k1 driver (snd_emu10k1), but I've been known to be wrong before.

If you don't see anything,
lcpci

look for the device ID next to your card in the output (something like 00:09.0 or some such) then do:
dmesg | grep 00:09.0

replace the 00:09.0 with the cards real ID. If that doesn't tell you anything useful, just do 'dmesg' by itself and see if anything is reported on your card.

If you don't see any problems with dmesg (it loaded the card OK), check to see if you have a /proc/asound/cardN (where N is a number, like card0 or card1). If you do have this directory, do:
cat /proc/asound/cards

Make sure that the ALSA card ID matches your cardN directory name (the ALSA id is the digit to the far left of the line that list your card). If this does match, make sure the right ID is in /etc/asound.conf.

Stepping back a moment, if you don't see anything listed in /proc/asound for cards (/proc/asound/cards says --- no soundcards --- or you don't have a /proc/asound/cardN directory), chances are you've got conflicting IRQs, try moving the card to a different slot in the machine. Of course, you could just try this step first and if it fixes your problem you won't have to go through any of the above :)

If none of this helps you, just post back.

Windows and Linux running on the same machine won't fight for the card because when one is up the other isn't.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts