"Puppy Linux Lucid 5.2" - Can't copy from DVD!

• a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi! :manycolors:

:hmm: Let me first tell you the scenario.. I have installed a Puppy Lucid Linux 5.2 on my hard disk (SATA probably). It is a full installation with even the development pack "devx_520.sfs" installed and working with other user application installations.

Now the problem is that when i am trying to copy some files from a 4.8G DVD it does not copy them to my hard disk. To mention in detail it is showing an input-output error. Now, my DVD combo is working perfectly well because i can copy files from it from Windows (that I have installed in another partition on my computer).

Now, is there any additional driver or something required for my DVD to work on Puppy or is it a bug. The Puppy website does not apparently have any feedback interface to submit errors and bugs. Please tell me anyone (who uses Puppy Linux) that how do i deal with this problem.. :?:

* I have used all possible ways, like using the inbuilt CD/DVD Wizard in it... but it's yet not working! :tempertandrum:

regards to all!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wasn't the DVD burned as an ISO? If so, can files be copied from an ISO?
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) hi again!

Actually the DVD wasn't ISO burnt but a normal DVD having some tar.gz linux game files. So, I should be able to copy files from it readily! :? But the problem is that when i try to copy files from the DVD to my root folder an I/O error pops out..

I am really confused about this because it should not happen! :banghead:
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
. . . . But the problem is that when i try to copy files from the DVD to my root folder an I/O error pops out..

You cannot Copy Files because u don't have writing permissions on That part on Your Linux Machine.
/root/ is normally write protected area for non-admin users.

Either u have to log-in as admin or to use command line sudo( or equal) to copy files there.

If you are logged in as admin or using sudo then u first look for the remaining free space on your Hard disk.

Or if u are try to copy video DVD to copy then it may have some copy protecting mechanism :)
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for replying, satwant! :)

but none of them is the real case. I have privileges as root to copy there, and the files on that DVD were burnt by me only. The DVD copy is working on windows but its stuck in linux.. :(

anyway, now i'm trying to get some other linux distro because i make backups on DVD and without DVD functioning it's futile..

so i let it go for now. How are you there?

oops, gotta go.....
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
thanks for replying, satwant! :)

anyway, now i'm trying to get some other linux distro because i make backups on DVD and without DVD functioning it's futile..

Now if u really Dying :) to change linux Distro, Then give a chance to BHARAT OS, Developed by CDAC, India . It is Based on Debian Linux Distributions. It is taken a OS of india. Many Govt. and semi-Govt. Org are implementing it.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow great! but please tell me is it a free distro?

actually i am looking for a well structured and good interfaced distro (like fedora, for instance). anyway it's good that we have an Indian distro as well!

i'll search it then..

thanks for suggesting!! :D
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
wow great! but please tell me is it a free distro?

Yes Bro it is a Free one :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts