questions about linux and networking.

• Dalkus
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dalkus
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, this is my first post on these forums and i like what ive seen so far, seems to be a friendly comunity.

I have just got into linux, my brother gave me an old machene with linux allready installed on it with the GNOME GUI. I have got pretty used to the terminal commands but i have a question about networking.

If i put the linux machene on the network (all the other machenes have windows installed) will i be able to copy files accross from a windows machene to a linux one? or will i not be able to access it at all?

thanks! As i said, im new to linux and i look forward to learning more with the help of these forums!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know nothing of linux, we have a couple of linux servers here at work but I am clueless! sorry cant help! :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dalkus wrote:
If i put the linux machene on the network (all the other machenes have windows installed) will i be able to copy files accross from a windows machene to a linux one? or will i not be able to access it at all?

Yes absolutely, you will have access. You can transfer files using the ftp on your network. It doesn't matter what operating systems they are. It is very similiar to how I am on a Windows computer right now, yet all my websites are on a Linux server which I upload to on the WWW. It is still a network just much bigger than a LAN.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the better books I think if your new to Linux is "Linux Administration A Beginner's Guide" it will covers allot of topics and explains them in pretty good detail. Another one I use pretty regularly is "Unix in 10 minutes" basically that one just gives you a little bit about the basic commands. Enjoy :D
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, my brother uses windows and I run 2 other comps with redhat and he still share files well.
  • greplet
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

Install SAMBA on the linux box and it will appear as another computer on the network neighbourhood
  • sirgamesalot
  • sirgamesalot
  • Loc: london ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah There should be no problem copying files or using the internet, its all in the protocals :P
  • Katushai
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

USE SAMBA! Samba is Linux's version of network neighborhood, and you might need a book on linux to look it up. Linux is actually a very nice OS, and once you get used to it then youll be quite pleased with what it can do. anyways, look up SAMBA in a book or on the iternet, its in a different place for every version of linux. late =)
  • compdude
  • Born
  • Born
  • compdude

Post 3+ Months Ago

samba.org is a great resource - or you could download a nfs client on your winders box and mount drives (a lot less configuration). depending on how your brother installed Linux it could be on there already. O'Reilly has a good book on samba but look for it a 1/2 price books or some used book store - it is pricy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts