Raid on Linux

• cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know whether Linux supports hardware raid and if it does, what type of RAID does it support. What i mean is does it support Promise Raid Chipset or anything like that.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes ofcourse it supports raid, you will have to install RAID-tools package in order to create a raid grid.
you can make all raid you want (0 1 .... )

about Promise Raid Chipset i don't really know what you mean by that
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i mean is, is there any particular hardware needed to perform RAID on the linux machine, because i intend to do hardware RAID and not software RAID.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some recommendations here: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4349/2/, and a tutorial with some recommendations here: http://www.linux.com/howtos/DPT-Hardware-RAID-HOWTO.shtml

Hope this helps...
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

i c

well no yo don't need software, as in Linux you can build certain modules into your kernel in order to use it. So it becomes a system service and not something you need extra sofware to configure

You don't need any particulary extra hardware either, because as i said above it becomes a part of your system that is controlled by that.

just put your HDD in and configure them with the raid tools to for a RAID device.

the only thing you will have to install, but i think it is standard on most ditros, is a GUI for controlling and setting up. since it is all made from the console:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts