rar program for linux?

• unfuna
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • unfuna

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need help finding a program that allows me to extract .rar, .zip ?

I use ubuntu and i used ark for a while but now it doesnt work

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am also on Ubuntu (6.06) Ark works fine for rar, but you may need to activate some packages if you have not done so already.

Type this in terminal if you have the multiverse repository enabled (or search for unrar in synaptic)
Code: [ Select ]
sudo apt-get install unrar

for more information about file compresion check the ubuntu wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression
that includes instructions for all compression types including 7zip, ace, rar, zip, biz2, etc.
  • unfuna
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • unfuna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks man :=)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I realize this is old, but I just noticed it.

Ubuntu should include a rar and unrar package. I know Fedora does.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

so yea...if ubuntu 6.06 didn't COMPLETELY and TOTALLY suck shift+244, i would check to see if it does. but i swear to god, it just hates me. when i try to boot the disk it can't start x and then when it goes to command line, its not a normal command line, the text wraps around the screen. so when you press enter, it goes to a new line..but it also tabs over. its SO annoying/impossible to read it makes me want to burn the disk. maybe with gasoline even...anyways, i figured it was just a problem with ubuntu and my video card (ati x800) but when i tried booting the disk (either from my cd-rom or an iso image) through microshaft virtual pc, it goes haywire again. the first screen i see after the "ubuntu" booting screen is brown lines with this black oblong oval, and then it goes to a screen which is just a mixture of colors and nothing comprehensable. i have no idea what the problem is, but pretty much ubuntu has become my least favorite distro of linux. its even lower on the chain than gentoo, and gentoo REALLY hates my computer and i reciprocate the same feelings for it :]
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You hate it so much because you've used real Linux distros before ;)

It's my opinion that Ubuntu is just another piece of crap too, but people just keep downloading it, so what are you going to do?

Maybe we should start a "Ubuntu Sucks Because..." thread.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah yea...pretty much. i used to work with this guy at staples and he went from Suse 9.3 pro to ubuntu. when he told me he was using ubuntu i ranted about it to him for a few and then went on my merry way. but we should definitely start that thread...maybe we can create an ubuntu rebellion and get people to try the REAL thing we call Linux instead of that mess they call a distro ^_^

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts