Rate Ubuntu

• mandar-seo
  • mandar-seo
  • Loc: Pune, Maharashtra, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have yesterday looked for the Ubuntu and ordered thefree ShipIt Ubuntu CD. I wanted to know how is the Ubuntu as OS in terms of software support? I am very new to Linux and just thought of trying it few days back.

With regards,
Mandar Thosar
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I much prefer Fedora Core to Ubuntu, but to each their own.

Ubuntu supports all of the same software as any other Linux distribution. If you're looking at running Windows applications, you might want to think again. While there are Windows emulators that will allow you to run Windows software, they're usually not as smooth as you would expect. Best to stick with the thousands upon thousands of Linux packages available.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

My preferences go along with this123.
If you have an ATI video card, you're definitely going to want to think again about ubuntu. For some reason, everything just seems to go haywire when you try booting ubuntu with said hardware.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Ubuntu with no complaints.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used Ubuntu for nearly two years (the distro itself isn't much older than that), and have been using it next to exclusively for over a year (after my last Windows lappy was stolen - which I simply didn't replace.) At the time (and I understand even today), it is/was one of the premier Linux distributions. I will say though, that FC6 looks great. I have a DVD sitting here ready to install, but having not reinstalled anything from scratch for a year or so, I'm waiting until I can be bothered with it.

Ben.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, should probably have answered the question - Ubuntu is great. It supported all the hardware I've used with it (which is not to say that it supports ALL hardware), synaptic is a superb package manager, the releases are timely (esp. since I already favour Gnome), and the whole thing is very polished. Even more so when compared to Debian, on which Ubuntu is (vaguely now) based.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

the fact that i have to boot with the nosplash option, go in and manually edit the xorg.conf file and then startx myself is unacceptable. its supposed to be a distro of linux made for people, but yet if people with a certain brand of video card can't boot to it without having to do some preconfiguration, how does that work? this is the only distro i've had this problem with. ever. and i've tried probably > 20 distros.
i may be biased, but i just can't get over the fact that the distro deals with ATi cards so horribly. even the Supergamer LiveDVD that doesn't have working ATi drivers boots a gui with no problems.
  • geminigriffin
  • Born
  • Born
  • geminigriffin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had Ubuntu for close to a year now. First I had Breezy Badger it had some quirks but it was fine.I could just plug my wacom in and while it wasn't configured correctly it did work. Then I upgraded to Dapper Drake. It has some quirks I dislike for example My wacom tablet's usb can't be unplugged and then be plugged into the usb port again and work. It also took a bit of crafty configuring just to get the tablet to finally work at all. It still sticks on the login screen. I have to move it many times, then it will function. I still have a jiggly cursor problem. It moves slightly without my ever having to touch it. But I haven't been working with Linux long enough to know too much about the other disrtos. I think I am going to look into them and see if there is one better. I don't hate ubuntu. It is fairly user friendly at least. Oh, I forgot to tell about the most annoying quirk. My firefox and sometimes other programs will just discontinue running suddenly without warning of any kind. But it isn't constant. Just occasionally. Although some days it does it more than one time. I don't recall any other hardware problems Ubuntu has with my computer except my usb port is a bit odd now. At least it works so I am not too unhappy. I rate Ubuntu fair but not excellent. I wonder if there is a linux distro that will ever rate that?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

geminigriffin wrote:
I have had Ubuntu for close to a year now. First I had Breezy Badger it had some quirks but it was fine.I could just plug my wacom in and while it wasn't configured correctly it did work. Then I upgraded to Dapper Drake. It has some quirks I dislike for example My wacom tablet's usb can't be unplugged and then be plugged into the usb port again and work. It also took a bit of crafty configuring just to get the tablet to finally work at all. It still sticks on the login screen. I have to move it many times, then it will function. I still have a jiggly cursor problem. It moves slightly without my ever having to touch it. But I haven't been working with Linux long enough to know too much about the other disrtos. I think I am going to look into them and see if there is one better. I don't hate ubuntu. It is fairly user friendly at least. Oh, I forgot to tell about the most annoying quirk. My firefox and sometimes other programs will just discontinue running suddenly without warning of any kind. But it isn't constant. Just occasionally. Although some days it does it more than one time. I don't recall any other hardware problems Ubuntu has with my computer except my usb port is a bit odd now. At least it works so I am not too unhappy. I rate Ubuntu fair but not excellent. I wonder if there is a linux distro that will ever rate that?

try suse 10.2
now that this version is out/"stable", i would definitely go for it.
hell, id try as many distros as i can if i were you.
of course, being me, i have tryed many a distro.. lol but yea. try suse 10.2 then fedora core 6 and you can use ubuntu as your basis for comparison.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

im not too fond of ubuntu but it isnt bad at all for the complete noob. the community for it is great too so help for ubuntu is easy to find on the ubuntu forums. as for the ati problem anarchy keeps mentioning. i honestly have never had a problem with ubuntu and my ati card. it booted everything up fine and i was able to install the proprietary drivers with little hassle. hell i even got xgl working nice. Its just one of those things you have bad luck with anarchy, like Gentoo. Id say give ubuntu a go but do try to explore other distros once you become more aquanted with linux.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well im not the only one i know whos had the problem. i have an x800, my friend with a 9800 pro has had the same problem and someone i know with a laptop who's graphics are provided by ati have all had the problem. maybe its just a michigan thing. lol similar to how it can be 25 degrees and snowing one day and 70 the next ^_^
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm odd indeed. i have a 9600 and no problems.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i used to have a 9600 and with ubuntu 5.3 it worked perfectly fine.
thats interesting..
and as for gentoo, im trying it again & it gives more problems. lol itd be really nice if Xorg -configure would work. but ill make a post about that
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting correlation. im interested in trying out other cards now. might try my buddies X600 i think it is. il let you know how that goes. as for gentoo im extremely rusty with linux in general since i havent touched it in months until today so i probably wouldnt be much help right now.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, that should be interesting.
my roommate has an x850xt so i'll make him try it out too and see what all it entails.
  • frezasaga
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frezasaga

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ubuntu is great for me cuz i am new in Linux..................
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

frezasaga wrote:
Ubuntu is great for me cuz i am new in Linux..................

thats great :] have you tried any other distro's?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts