10 reasons to install Ubuntu 9.04

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good article at Tech Republic lists 10 reasons to install Ubuntu 9.04. They are...

1: Ext 4 file system
2: GNOME 2.26.1
3: Speed
4: Cleanup Janitor
5: Nautilus encryption
6: Xorg 1.6
7: Notifications and system messages
8: Native ARM support
9: Better menu layout
10: Better wireless support

Read the details in the article...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

The data loss problems reported with some applications not ready for ext4 has me worried about converting to that filesystem. I think I will be sticking with my existing filesystem for now.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:

The data loss problems reported with some applications not ready for ext4 has me worried about converting to that filesystem. I think I will be sticking with my existing filesystem for now.

Agreed. ext4 is too buggy at the moment. It would be fun to try out on a VM but I'll stick with ext3 until it's stable enough for general use.
  • clientdixon
  • clientdixon

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said it Ubuntu is really good thing to have
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently use windows vista and don't have any problems, but want to get away from Microsoft as much as possible. I know absolutely nothing of Ubuntu or Linux, so would it be wise to get rid of Vista and install it?

Can I still do what I do now using Linux? (simple html, css, php web design and internet surfing?)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do that stuff you list super easy with linux, it will just work a little differently. I would recommend maybe getting vmware or some other virtual machine and trying linux like that before you completely wipe your hard drive clean and start over, just in case you decide you don't like it.
  • extomas
  • Loc: Lithuania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I'm gonna to do it now. Some years ago I tried Ubuntu for education or smt like this... nothing was done... Now I'm gonna test ti on wmvare too :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're looking for a good VM solution, try VirtualBox. I use it on multiple machines, both Windows and Linux, and haven't had a problem with it. And it's free, which is a plus.
  • awatson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • awatson

Post 3+ Months Ago

natas wrote:
Can I still do what I do now using Linux? (simple html, css, php web design and internet surfing?)

Ubuntu (or linux in general) is a great match for those sorts of things - you can even set up your own web server to use a test/staging server. The only issue I run into is I need to be able to run IE to test sites on that platform as well. But if you're doing all back-end coding/database stuff it's a great option, especially if you're working on sites that hosted on linux servers.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

awatson wrote:
natas wrote:

Ubuntu (or linux in general) is a great match for those sorts of things - you can even set up your own web server to use a test/staging server. The only issue I run into is I need to be able to run IE to test sites on that platform as well. But if you're doing all back-end coding/database stuff it's a great option, especially if you're working on sites that hosted on linux servers.

exactly. and getting the server setup is super easy..
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I know absolutely nothing of Ubuntu or Linux, so would it be wise to get rid of Vista and install it?

DO NOT "get rid" of Windows if you use things like Google earth, Google Chrome, or a handfull of multimedia applications.

It seems like I get left out of something new once a month because I don't have a Windows computer around. If you look around Ozzu you'll come across a few posts by me cursing myself for not being able to participate.

Quote:

As far as everything you listed there, yes.
If you go to install Ubuntu, install the "Server Edition" and it will come with Apache/etc already installed and just needing tweaking.
Ubuntu comes with Firefox setup as the default browser.
I transitioned to gedit, the default text editor for all of my editing and I've grown like it more than my previous favorites on Windows.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts