Red Hat 9 nvidia display card issues

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again...

I recently upgraded from an old nVidia MX440 video card to a FX 5700 LE.

And while the transition went smoothly for windows XPee, my dual/boot install of Red Hat 9 didn't like the new piece of hardware.

The display is distorted as if a motion blur filter was being run across the entire screen, to the point that I can't see what options there are on the start menu listing so as to manually load a driver.

I'm a true newbie with linux and I'm at the point of switching over to something else that might not be so sensitive to new hardware, but I also hate giving up unless there is no choice.

The boot process performs the usual search for new hardware, but there was no mention of the ability to configure the driver for the new hardware.

Is there an easy fix for this, or should I look to download a type of linux that is not only less sesitive to hardware changes, but as free as Red Hat used to be?

I already posted a similar request for help on the official nvidia/linux board, but didn't get a single reply.

Cheers, and thanks for any help I can get.

C.C.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would guess the problem has less to do with Red Hat itself, versus your window system, xfree86 or xorg -- whichever one you are using.

If you can log into the CLI (Command line interface) rather than the window manager, you should be able to run 'X -configure', which should go through the XFree86 configuration process, thus installing the driver set (if available for Linux) for the new card.

Cheers.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

On rebooting out of win XP, I inserted the RH9 boot disc, then typed:
Quote:
linux -configure
at the "prompt".
After going through it's bootup process, the display was still distorted with that wind effect...screen-wide "motion blur", making it impossible to navigate the menus.
A possible option is to either reinstall RH9 since the display is perfectly fine when running off the cd, or switching to another "noob-friendly" distro.
The problem with reinstalling is that Red Hat no longer makes updates available for free, so switching may be the only way.
Any other ideas?

Thanks, eh...

C.C.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts