Red Hat wont boot from harddrive

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically I don't get the option to select which OS to boot into on startup anymore, my system just goes straight into Win2kPro.

I just reinstalled win2kPro as my main operating system, and installed Red Hat 9 to play around with :) . For the first day or two everything was fine etc, now Red Hat is not being detected as a bootable from the Harddrive. I can still boot from the Red Hat boot floppy I made.

At the moment I'm not too bothered, as I am mostly using Windows still, but as I learn more about linux I think I will be swapping between them a lot more. Is it possible that windows has messed about with the boot section of Red Hat 9? Can I repair it from the floppy disk? Any suggestions would be great.

BTW the position of my computer means that I need to walk all of 2 meters :shock: to insert/remove the floppy obviously this is a severe and urgent problem and needs to be addressed :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never repaired the bootloader through redhats rescue disc/cd rom/floppy but yes you should be able to. Also is redhat on the same hard drive as windoze?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes they are both on the same disk, I've got an 80GB disk partitioned thusly:
8GB: Win2kPro, NTFS
8GB: Red Hat 9, ext2 (??) split into boot, swap and /
8GB: unpartitioned space for me to play with additional OS's in the future
All the rest is a Fat32 Partition, to share files between the OS's and separate files from OS partitions in case I total screw something up :)

Originally, the system was using the program that came with RH (the name escapes me) to let me select between 'Red Hat' and 'dos' - but then it just stopped working.

BTW if you do know the answer then try to dumb it down a bit for me :oops: I'm only just getting used to the way linux works!

Thanks for the help.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you can boot to redhat with the boot disk you made during installation, just su root and type "lilo". Post any errors here. You might also want to try 'man lilo' to learn about it a bit.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, I'll try when I get home from work.
Thanks
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
Well if you can boot to redhat with the boot disk you made during installation, just su root and type "lilo". Post any errors here. You might also want to try 'man lilo' to learn about it a bit.

I have similar problem, I have formatted my HD(windowsXP), on the other hard drive i have linux (redhat9);

I am not been asked any more if i do want to boot from xp or linux, this problem could be fixed from lilo file, or from windows?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts