Red Hat9, Fedora or SuSE 9.0 ?

• 70seven
  • Loc: Ottawa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, so I'm thinking of buying a new laptop soon and I wanted to instal Red Hat 9 on it, but with a bit of surfing I found out about Fedora and SuSE, and they all sound great ! From reviews I read SuSE sounds real good, If you buy it (about 150$ Canadian) you get tons of software and some very good documentation with it(well more like books on SuSE, and I know I can download it, I'm just saying). So what do you think I should go with? Anyone tried all three ?

Oh and if you would answer "it depends what you want to do with it" could you please specify when would I need one instead of the others.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PCHost
  • Born
  • Born
  • PCHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never tried suse, but I use RedHat 9 on all my servers. There are many users with RedHat installed on their personal computers, and they seem very happy to have it.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently installed SuSE in class and it was even faster and more pain-free than RedHat9. Both are quite ideal for personal computers, but as you mentioned, SuSE does come with a ton of nice documentation (not that you can't find the same information online...). I have not yet tried out Fedora, so I can't give you my opinion on that.
It really couldn't hurt to try out all three. I hope that you find one that suits you best! :wink:

//Whoo, smurf smilies! Lol...sorry, I haven't been around in a while. :roll:
  • 70seven
  • Loc: Ottawa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I could try all three, since its all free hehe. But so far I'm leaning towards SuSE. It looks like Feroda is not as good as the two others yet.
  • sosman
  • Born
  • Born
  • sosman

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello.

I would recommend you about mandrake 10 .
its easy to use !
if its a laptop than I will more recommend on mandrake because it works better with the hardware and its more likely that all you hardware will work with mandrake than with others!

its as a good packages management !

I used mandrake two month ago before I moved to slackware but I moved to slackware because I wanted a challenge and slackware for a laptop is not the best idia !

mandrake would be the best choise to my opinion with a new laptop!!

I hope I helped!

thankd for your time!
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redhat is pretty good on all types of computers....

Redhat 9 wont be supported in a few days...if not unsupported already.

Personally, I'd recommend Fedora.
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi pal
u better go for edhat product that suse.. frm my personnel xperiance i am sayin. u can get tonnes of documentation in th net for redhat product.
now i am workin on fedora core2. its pretty impressive and very user frndly(i felt so). i fell its not worth spendin $150 for suse.
u cn finr fedora core2 here
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/iso/. if u r intrested in that copy
FC2-i386-disc1.iso
FC2-i386-disc2.iso
FC2-i386-disc3.iso
FC2-i386-disc4.iso and burn it.

enjoy linux
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's a matter of trying different distributions and seeing which work. I use Fedora2 on my laptop and it runs great, but it wouldn't have anything to do with my girlfriend's PC so she uses Mandrake.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always used Red Hat i am thinking of swiching to the fedora flavor.
  • Nicole
  • Nicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

SUSE is a great flavor of linux , but i recommend installing Fedora Core 2
i. It is quite easy to upgrade , and everybody has heard of redhat so it will be a good choice ,plus its free!!! :P

Also have about 6 gb of software buit it still need improvement :x
  • Legion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Woods Cross, Utah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently purchased Suse 9.1 and found it simple and very well designed. Ohter than i can't get my Dvds or ati video card to work to play its a great os.
  • kurupet
  • kurupet

Post 3+ Months Ago

And the conclusion is..... noone can tell you which linux to use.
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol
If you are a beginner in Linux then Fedora would be a better choice to go with and if you are slightly a more advanced user, go with suse. redhat is not a good choice as like mentioned before support for it is going to stop.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

kurupet wrote:
And the conclusion is..... noone can tell you which linux to use.

better then saying use M$ and use what you get. :p In linux you take is best suited for you or your machine, just a mater of taste.

Most ppl will pehaps already tried vatious distros a stick to use because they like some features or user friendlyness

i personlly use slackware wich i really like allot, but perhaps not the best distro to start with.

Fedora is good, theyr close to releasing Core 3 if i'm not mistaken.
I would say you try some of them and then choose one :)
Turbo linux is good aswell for beginners
ARk aswell
or Mepis
or Yoper
or ..

your choice ! :)
  • trgy
  • Born
  • Born
  • trgy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone!!
I m also struggling with that question. So much versions of linux, so new user like me can be easy confused. For now I goth fedora, suse, mandriva and ubuntu. Don t like mandriva, can it be shut down without end session first? I need jet to try suse and then probably will stick to the fedora. Linux can be really confusing to first users. Like I could not find where to browse computers on the network in ubuntu :). I need to install linux server with domain controller and file sharing support for windows clients, proxie and etc.. Is debian good choise for that? Good luck to me I don t even know how to use linux on my desktop PC :)
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Debian and slackware are excellent choices for servers. The minimal installation is very small and lean, with good working guides.

Don't forget gentoo for servers either.. Not as easy to set up, but it will optimise for your hardware and integrate better than the others.

Read read and read some more.. It's not hard to set up a basic webserver or file server with linux.

For laptops I have a friend who swears by Mint. Can't say I have tried it personally.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts