Is Red Hat9 good for me?

• Sambie
  • Sambie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I admit that I have never programmed anything before, only couple of very easy VB tiny programs, which anybody could use. I never really got too far into VB or any other programs. I am curious will Red Hat9 Linux will be good for me if i want to use it for personal? I have windows XP pro installed on my computer at the moment but i want to try something new, more stable then Microsoft. I do know some DOS.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't need to know how to code to use Linux, just as you don't need to know how to code to use Windows.

Whether it'll be any good for you or not, you'll just have to install it and check it out :)

DOS (as in Micro$oft DOS) and the Linux shell prompt are not the same thing. They are completely different operating systems and the only advantage knowing M$-DOS will have is that your eyes will be used to looking at a text-based screen. Other than that, the only other similarity betwene M$-DOS and a Linux shell is that they both use 'cd' to change directory ;)

Linux isn't for everybody, Windows isn't for everybody, it's just a personal preference and it all depends on what you need to do with it - same as buying a car. A Lamborghini isn't for everybody, even if they can afford it, but plenty of people drive 'em :)
  • Sambie
  • Sambie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm downloading the sec CD right now (as of 11:10PM EST) I'm going to be reformatting my C drive and installing a sec hard drive onto my machine, which will be an ONLY Gaming hard drive (Ima Muliplayer nerd, Wolfenstein ET rules!) I must admit that i didn't pay for my version of Windows XP Pro... my fathers employee was nice enough to burn me a copy. I have a feeling that Microsoft is the causes for my problems as whenever i do a scan of who's connected to my computer that i always get the IP 207.46.107.44 and the port: 1863

When i search it up i ended up getting http://www.whois.sc/207.46.107.44 I also notice that ever since i accidentally added auto update that I somehow downloaded a very bad bug, which of course came from Microsoft and every so often my machine goes nuts! I can drag my mouse but it goes up, without me even dragging it up, or by clicking it. It is really hard for me to play my games with that problem. I'm hoping that Red Hat is much more stable and much more enjoyable to use then Microsoft, but the sad part is that i will be reinstalling Microsoft, as I need it for certain softwares that doesn't take Linux, which i don't know why.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your best bet...

Partition your first drive into two.

My primary drive in this machine is a 17.4Gig, with an 80gig on the slave...

So in my case, I would allocate 7.4Gig for Windows, and use that for my OS, applications, etc. and 10Gig for Linux.

Then my whole second drive would be Fat32 or NTFS for data, music, video clips, games, work, etc.

But, this machine's only runnnig Win2K, so I don't have a Linux partition on here, but that'd be a good way to set it up.

As for that IP address, do you have MSN messenger? Could it be that? :)
  • Sambie
  • Sambie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also have a question. I notice on http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/ theirs total of 6 CD's that is required, just curious which ones are the most important? either SRPMS or i386?
  • Sambie
  • Sambie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have about 80GB on my current hard drive and im expecting to have at least 120GB on my newest one.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, then just setup like a 20Gig partition for Windows, and your windows applications... 60Gig for Linux...

Then use the 120Gigger for your data n' games :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNIX and Linux are very rewarding, but you must have the resolve to understand some things about how they work. You should definitely buy a book on the subject.

FYI: Red Hat Linux, including version 9, is discontinued. You must purchase Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition WS, ES, or AS. Otherwise, you can try the Fedora project - Red Hat's test platform. But, be warned, Fedora is the cutting edge of Linux development--you will find difficult.

Suse, Debian and Mandrake distributions are well worth mentioning.

In the end, Linux is esentially Linux.

My suggestion: My an Apple Mac OS X powered computer and learn UNIX* fundamentals while enjoying a highly refined desktop experience.

*Yup, Mac OS X is UNIX (NetBSD I believe)... real UNIX. (Not that "real" vs "Linux" is that big a deal.)
  • Sambie
  • Sambie

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:

FYI: Red Hat Linux, including version 9, is discontinued. You must purchase Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition WS, ES, or AS. Otherwise, you can try the Fedora project - Red Hat's test platform. But, be warned, Fedora is the cutting edge of Linux development--you will find difficult.

I dont understand of what you meant by that they discontinued with Red hat Linux, version 9. Why is the downloads still up there if they discontinued it? This is confusing to me. I have already downloaded all of the SRPMS files.

What would to happen if you tried to install it onto your machine?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Red Hat wrote:
Red Hat's legacy Linux operating system, launched in 1994. Predecessor of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the Fedora Project. Last version available was Red Hat Linux 9.

You can still download Red Hat 1. Older operating systems are available for a number of reasons, but they are not supported.

You can safely install Red Hat Linux 9 on your computer. I have a copy running on my laptop. Just keep in mind that the product is discontinued in the eyes of Red Hat and that will have implications for you.
  • Sambie
  • Sambie

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my own eyes and from what you are saying is that it's not worth of downloading and installing it?

What is the meaning of WS, ES, or AS? you mention it on the software of which red hat is selling. What do you think would be the best software for me to get?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing Workstation, Enterprise Server, and Advanced Server.

Red Hat wrote:
From a technology viewpoint the three members of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux family, AS, ES & WS, are very similar. A design goal of the family is to maintain a high degree of commonality so that they provide a consistent environment for applications. Another advantage of this commonality is that the environment for users and system administrators is the same, regardless of the family member. In terms of usage, AS and ES are designed for servers, while WS is designed for the desktop. AS and ES provide identical functionality: ES is licensed for x86 compatible servers with up to 2 CPUs and 8GB of main memory; AS is licensed for servers of any size and any architecture. As the desktop product, WS supports x86, Itanium and AMD64 architectures, but does not include many of the open source server applications that are provided with AS and ES, so it is not suitable for server environments. See our Red Hat Enterprise Linux comparison chart for more information.

If you're toying around with Linux, then you won't have any problems with Red Hat Linux 9. However, you may want to consider a current distribution if you plan on depending on Internet communities for support.

Sambie wrote:
What do you think would be the best software for me to get?

Red Hat Linux is discontinued.

Fedora sacrifices stability for development testing.

The difference between the mainstream distributions is moot. Suse, Debian and Mandrake are all good. Since Suse uses RPM installation packages (just like Red Hat), you may find it familiar. As an added bonus, recently Novell purchased Suse and very committed to the success of the distribution.

Just as the supporters of free software had hoped, the choice is yours! :-)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

RedHat is officially discontinued, but there are plenty of people out there still using it, and helping out on forums, mailing lists, IRC, etc.

SuSE I've not used in years, and didn't like it when it first started, but I've no idea how "nice" it is these days.

Debian's good, but pretty can be advanced for new users.

Mandrake I hate (sorry rjm, hehe), it's always caused me nothing but problems whenever I've tried to install it.

Whichever distro you go for though, try to hunt out a book called "Linux in Plain English". I believe it's not in print any more, although I've heard there's a PDF format floating around, and you might be able to pick it up in a clearance sale or second hand book store. GREAT book for beginners, and a handy reference for those who've been using it a while.

Also have a look for "The Linux System Administrator's Black Book", another great book, a bit more advanced than LIPE, but has lots of examples for configuring software (apache, sendmail, etc.)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any ideas why Red Hat, Inc. chose to make such wide-reaching changes to the availability of Red Hat linux as a free (to d/load) OS?

I would think that this sort of switch to a full pay-to-use OS would go against the basic tenants of open source :?

C.C.

PS. I took a quick look at the Red Hat and RHN pages but couldn't see anything obvious in the way of an information as to whether they plan on keeping the downloads stocked with the same iso images as current or whether everything gets discontinued as of april.

And I guess the Up2date system gets the heave ho, too?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:

Red Hat wants to focus on the bread winners. Spending a lot of time developing a new release that is mostly used for free didn't make sense. Red Hat now puts an effort into the "for-profit" distributions and leaves the public to freely try Fedora. Fedora is a test platform for future Red Hat distributions. (This means: cutting-edge, and Red Hat won't be bending over backwards testing it before it is released.)

Cold Canuck wrote:
...as to whether they plan on keeping the downloads...

Red Hat currently maintains downloads over distributions going back prior to version 5. There is no reason to think they will discontinue doing so, however, they are free to do as they please.

Cold Canuck wrote:
...basic tenants of open source...

Actually, this is what open-source is all about!
  • sweinmann
  • sweinmann
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I think you people need to do. STOP using Redhat. As of April 30th, 2004 Redhat 9 Shrike will no longer be suppoted through the errata. As everyone knows it is Redhats policy to support and fix errors for 1 year after a realase then to stop supporting it. Redhat has gone totally commercial and is no longer interested in the whole theory behind GPL. To be free forever. I would personally suggest using Gentoo or Debian. Although it is not for the unexperienced it is a damn good linux distro. If you want to use linux use LINUX not a distro of linux that reminds you of windows. I still must make a suggestion for those of us that are new to this whole linux thing. Get yourself a copy of mandrake 9.1. Its a great OS and is easy to use. :twisted:

**Gentoo Rocks**
  • santosh82
  • santosh82
  • Loc: hyderabad

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am new to linux. is mandrake 9.1 free. if so where to download from
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since Novell's purchase of Suse, suse has become a great desktop OS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts