redhat linux 8.0 gui problem

• ramjimh
  • ramjimh
  • Loc: madurai

Post 3+ Months Ago

gui mode is not starting in linux 8.0.if i check in /etc/inittab it has the default id :5 i.e booting to gui mode only.what else i have to check.please provide solution.it is very urgent.

with rgds,

ramjimh
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's happening when you boot? Is X trying to start and failing or is it just dropping to a command line with no apparent errors? What happens when you type in "startx"? What do your logs have to say?

On a different note, I can't see how this could be all that urgent. If this is a workstation, it needs to be upgraded badly. If this is a server, it shouldn't even have X on it unless you're doing remote desktop with it and if that's the case, it certainly shouldn't be booting into X.
  • ramjimh
  • ramjimh
  • Loc: madurai

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i type startx i am getting Fatal I/O error 104,cannot start x server.but i checked the /etc/inittab file. it is in id :5 only.when i reboot it try to start x and comes to console mode.if i check with modprobe ti shows everything properl.what else the problem.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

your xorg.conf file has an error. probably either in the monitor section or in the video card section. what kind of video card do you have? check /etc/X11/xorg.conf and if possible, post that file. one thing you could try when logged in as root, is do: Xorg -configure
(notice the uppercase x.) after that does what its supposed to, if it finishes without error than try startx again. if that finishes with errors, post back here what the errors are
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your X server is not configured correctly. I use FreeBSD so the config command and the output have different names but you have to run the equivalent to xf86config. Then after you get that you can install KDE or whatever you want on top of it. Edit the xinitrc file to start it at the startx command or at boot time.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Your X server is not configured correctly. I use FreeBSD so the config command and the output have different names but you have to run the equivalent to xf86config. Then after you get that you can install KDE or whatever you want on top of it. Edit the xinitrc file to start it at the startx command or at boot time.

heh, beatcha to it ;)
but i dont think the OP would have to install KDE or GNOME after x works. in my experience with redhat based distro's, a desktop manager is always installed on installation. theres just a problem w/their xorg file. my guess is its the video driver its trying to use.

ramjimh, i really recommend you update to a newer distro. RH8 is pretty much ancient. i can't imagine you would find many new packages made for it.. and a newer distro would be less buggy / error-prone. if you wanted to stick with a distro sponsored by redhat, you could get Fedora Core 6
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ha! Yes, you beat me to it by 5 minutes. No, he doesn't need KDE or Gnome. I just don't like xterm which is the default on FreeBSD.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah nice..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts